How Crucial are Skimmers without Coral?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface: It is a stupid question, I know. This build is my first foray into big aquariums, and I don’t quite know how things scale with increasing water volumes.

Looks like my protein skimmer kicked the bucket. The flooding in BC hit my place and I’ve been able to save a good amount of my equipment, much to my surprise.

Of all things though, the skimmer is not one of them. It was an old Vertex IN-180, but the pump refuses to work, it was working fine before. Cleaned it out, best as I could.

Anyways, a new $500+ protein skimmer just isn’t in my budget for the foreseeable future ($17,000 in repair costs, huzzah!). So I am wondering, exactly how crucial is a protein skimmer to a large aquarium without corals? Fish and invertebrates only. Total water volume will be about 300 gallons, bioload will be pretty light with 6 fish, though one is an 18” moray. My guess is probably not very if I do regular water changes.

I would love to wait until I can replace it, but unfortunately my fish are crowding up my friends tank, so I gotta get this monstrosity set up

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface: It is a stupid question, I know. This build is my first foray into big aquariums, and I don’t quite know how things scale with increasing water volumes.

Looks like my protein skimmer kicked the bucket. The flooding in BC hit my place and I’ve been able to save a good amount of my equipment, much to my surprise.

Of all things though, the skimmer is not one of them. It was an old Vertex IN-180, but the pump refuses to work, it was working fine before. Cleaned it out, best as I could.

Anyways, a new $500+ protein skimmer just isn’t in my budget for the foreseeable future ($17,000 in repair costs, huzzah!). So I am wondering, exactly how crucial is a protein skimmer to a large aquarium without corals? Fish and invertebrates only. Total water volume will be about 300 gallons, bioload will be pretty light with 6 fish, though one is an 18” moray. My guess is probably not very if I do regular water changes.

I would love to wait until I can replace it, but unfortunately my fish are crowding up my friends tank, so I gotta get this monstrosity set up
Not crucial at all in fact. XD It’s not even crucial WITH corals (at least when not considering SPS), so yeah. You’re good. If you need to lighten up on water changes too, you can also just let algae grow and that’ll take care of excess nutrients too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back