How did I get bristle worms?!? Are there more?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the bottom of one of my return pumps. The not so crowded one. I didn't take a photo of the other. They are good at what they do. They are also a good indication of your display husbandry as it relates to food and over feeding (which I do).

As I sort of joked about earlier gloving up is wise for many reasons for both parties (display and hobbyist).

1670383862325.png

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like other random cuc critters (the ones you didn't knowingly put in your tank), populations will respond to the level of extra food in the tank. If you start to see "too many" of any critters, reduce your feeding. (I used quotation marks because too many is subjective.)
Will they compete with my other CUC?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the bottom of one of my return pumps. The not so crowded one. I didn't take a photo of the other. They are good at what they do. They are also a good indication of your display husbandry as it relates to food and over feeding (which I do).

As I sort of joked about earlier gloving up is wise for many reasons for both parties (display and hobbyist).

1670383862325.png
I appreciate the pictures! Is there even food for them to eat in the sump?!?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: let me ton it down - sorry. If you are interested in using gloves these work well.

Amazon:
1670384686417.png
I actually do use gloves sometime (nitrile gloves) but I HATE the feeling of water filling up the glove when I dip too far down lol.

Will start looking into these soon though haha

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the pictures! Is there even food for them to eat in the sump?!?

Yeah. I feed pretty heavy so not going to lie. As to what all is in there I really can't say but it has the worms, some aiptasia, and strombus snails. I believe there are also some speghetti worms.

I honestly do not know what their main food source is or diets. I just know I have them and find them in various places. To be honest I use them as a gauge of my husbandry as I noted earlier. Too many and I know I'm probably nutrient heavy by feeding too much. Similar to other animals in the tank. I don't really see them but they are there as you can see via my return pump's base.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good clean up crew member. Ocean creatures are amazing and bizarre. Welcome to the hobby. Find something else to worry about, like how to implement parameter stability in your reef tank.

My parameters are perfectly stable, thank you very much! That leaves me with plenty of free time to obsess about devil worms on online forums!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want them, brittle/serpent stars make excellant competition for these guys, as well as nassarius snails.

The nassarius snails are a good idea! Was actually about to get some even before seeing this worm!

I would love a star but I have a 20 gal tank. My understanding is that's too small?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for anyone who controls numbers by trapping: how do you handle the trapped worms? Do you just dump them in the toilet and give it a flush?

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them in a bag, freeze then throw in the trash. Flushing live critters is wrong for a number of reasons imo, even if they are just worms.
Will they compete with my other CUC?
They are the best at what they do.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for anyone who controls numbers by trapping: how do you handle the trapped worms? Do you just dump them in the toilet and give it a flush?
I used to be in your camp many years ago - went bare bottom and religiously siphoned detritus out of my tank and sump every month. I went nuclear on these bristle worms to a point of bleaching rock structures and started over, yet they came back with a vengeance! I later realized that they are part of CUC (although nasty looking) and adopted "if you can't beat them, learn to live with them" mentality! Besides, they only come out at night -- I'm dead asleep anyway so why bother!

Anyway, I've directed my attention to automation, stable water parameters, and ENJOYING THE TANK more! So...my suggestion: let it be! Relax & enjoy the tank!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nassarius snails are a good idea! Was actually about to get some even before seeing this worm!

I would love a star but I have a 20 gal tank. My understanding is that's too small?
There are micro brittle starfish that get no bigger than a quarter. I bought mine from DaneGer21. All arrived alive and happy. Perfect for any size tank. Good luck.
EFF8E013-44BC-47AE-B8E0-51D5C93E3C57.jpeg

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be in your camp many years ago - went bare bottom and religiously siphoned detritus out of my tank and sump every month. I went nuclear on these bristle worms to a point of bleaching rock structures and started over, yet they came back with a vengeance! I later realized that they are part of CUC (although nasty looking) and adopted "if you can't beat them, learn to live with them" mentality! Besides, they only come out at night -- I'm dead asleep anyway so why bother!

Anyway, I've directed my attention to automation, stable water parameters, and ENJOYING THE TANK more! So...my suggestion: let it be! Relax & enjoy the tank!
I think that's the right attitude and the one I'll end up taking! As much as I detest the sight of them and the thought of their bristles, I'm logical. I'm not willing to risk my happy tank to bleach rocks or attempt to start over.

However, I'm considering options to keep their numbers in check! Maybe something that eats them or competes for resources. A healthy compromise lol

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just happened to walk past my tank with the lights off and noticed something lurking around... upon closer inspection I saw it was a fairly long bristle worm!!! Eeeek!!

I panicked, grabbed my tweezers and fished him right out! Flushed him.. Poor little guy didn't even put up a fight and I actually feel really bad for it... pic below is after I poured some freshwater on it (curled up instantly)

20221206_203059.jpg

My big question is: how the hell did I get it? My tank has had corals in it for about a month (all small frags). I started the tank with dry rock and sand and dipped everything before going in. Did something come in a frag as a microscopic baby and grow this massive in a month??? Are there more lurking (I assume yes)?

And don't reply telling me they're beneficial lol. Granted, I had way more empathy for it than I was expecting, but I'm not about having a tank full of things that make me scared to put a bare hand in!

lol - these are amazing additions to cleanup crew. Eat everything's, keep your tank clean, stay hidden for the most part, and are actually really pretty when they get larger...

Not joking - i just paid to have some shipped to me to seed my curing live rock.

BC185486-A099-4A0F-BA13-C7B1F76643F2.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back