How did you get your Planet Aquariums glass tank from the LFS to your house?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just learned that Planet Aquariums does not crate up their tanks nor do they put them on a pallet for shipping. So how did you guys get your tank from the LFS to your house? I'm planning on renting a trailer to move my 7' long 270g, but I'm a little concerned about how to secure it so that it does not move around. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get enough people to move the tank on and off the trailer, I'm really just wondering how to strap it down. I've thought about just screwing some 2x4s down snug around it on the trailer bed. That should keep it from moving left to right or front to back, but what about up and down?

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also wondering how they move it around on and off the truck. It seems like they would almost have to have it on some type of pallet.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain about no crate? I just paid $500 for a crate fee. Mine better ship in a crate!
Did you place your order through a local fish store or directly with Planet? My understanding is if you do not have a LFS that is a Planet dealer, they you can order directly from them and then there is a crate and shipping charge.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you place your order through a local fish store or directly with Planet? My understanding is if you do not have a LFS that is a Planet dealer, they you can order directly from them and then there is a crate and shipping charge.
My tank is not being shipped to the LFS, even though I did order it through LFS. It's being shipped directly to my house, hence the crate and shipping charges.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't crank it down, just a little tension to hold it in place and prevent sliding on the blankets. One going over the tank end to end, 2 going across it width wise evenly spaced.
That would probably work. I might still fame the bottom in with 2x4s to the trailer bed. That way if I had to slam on the brakes for anything, there would be something solid keeping it in place without lots of force on the glass.
And cardboard around the forward facing nose of the tank. Remember your cracked windshield?
It will have blankets all around, or maybe even in an enclosed trailer.

My tank is not being shipped to the LFS, even though I did order it through LFS. It's being shipped directly to my house, hence the crate and shipping charges.
That would make sense then. The shipping charge they quoted me for home delivery was much higher than $500.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my 6’ 215g planet came, I backed my truck up to their truck, they dropped the lift and we just slid it in. The driver helped me strap it down safely in my truck bed.

It took four people to get it out my truck and up some stairs but only took a few minutes.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my 6’ 215g planet came, I backed my truck up to their truck, they dropped the lift and we just slid it in. The driver helped me strap it down safely in my truck bed.

It took four people to get it out my truck and up some stairs but only took a few minutes.
you did that at the LFS? Talking with my LFS they expect to get the tank after hours on a Friday and for me to pick it up on that Saturday.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you did that at the LFS? Talking with my LFS they expect to get the tank after hours on a Friday and for me to pick it up on that Saturday.
Right, we did that in the LFS parking lot. The LFS told me he’d give me a call when he knew the truck was on its way. I got there about 15 minutes before the truck.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I picked up my planet 310, I rented a 15ft U-Haul. Had it most the day and only cost about $130. Plenty of room for tank, stand, sump, blankets to cover everything. And a ramp to roll everything on and off with furniture dollies.

Made it truly painless and worry free.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I picked up my planet 310, I rented a 15ft U-Haul. Had it most the day and only cost about $130. Plenty of room for tank, stand, sump, blankets to cover everything. And a ramp to roll everything on and off with furniture dollies.

This is what ReefBum said he should've done as well instead of renting a trailer, would've made it much easier. Oh and congrats on the 270G tank, so jelly! Wish I could upgrade to that size... ;):D

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a really good plan. I'm going to talk to my LFS about doing the same thing. Straight off the Planet truck and into the U-Haul for inspection and the trip to my place.

This is what ReefBum said he should've done as well instead of renting a trailer, would've made it much easier. Oh and congrats on the 270G tank, so jelly! Wish I could upgrade to that size... ;):D

Thanks. I really wanted a 300g+ in wall, but we all have to compromise. lol Follow along in my build thread if you like.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back