How did you secure your ABS bottom?

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straightforward. How did you all secure your ABS bottoms out of curiosity?

I haven't had the best of luck with siliconing it in place as it tends to let go and bow up

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straightforward. How did you all secure your ABS bottoms out of curiosity?

I haven't had the best of luck with siliconing it in place as it tends to let go and bow up
I used silicone. Made a big zig zaggy pattern underneath then went around the edges. Left a ton of books on it for a week while it cured.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tyler White

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a test on which was better (besides sillicone) between super glue and epoxy putty

The glue is a darn near permanent bond and the epoxy was just good enough to hold onto the glass and let go of the epoxy with just a little effort.

I went with these two as a quicker fix to getting this bottom held down in one place.

Drained the tank glued it down let it cure and started filling.

This doesn't fix it i give up!

Attachments

• 20201123_192236.jpg
    20201123_192236.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a test on which was better (besides sillicone) between super glue and epoxy putty

The glue is a darn near permanent bond and the epoxy was just good enough to hold onto the glass and let go of the epoxy with just a little effort.

I went with these two as a quicker fix to getting this bottom held down in one place.

Drained the tank glued it down let it cure and started filling.

This doesn't fix it i give up!

Thanks for the testing!

Do you have a link for the abs that you’re using? Thx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tyler White

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the testing!

Do you have a link for the abs that you’re using? Thx
No problem! I used a sheet from Eplastics.

Best thing is they do cutting for you as well!

Upvote 0

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it like acrylic? What do you use it for? Can it be used to make sump dividers, etc? Sorry for all the questions, just diving into some of the DIY stuff and trying to learn more. Have been reading the DIY forum From oldest to most current so I can get some context of progression within the hobby, etc.

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it like acrylic? What do you use it for? Can it be used to make sump dividers, etc? Sorry for all the questions, just diving into some of the DIY stuff and trying to learn more. Have been reading the DIY forum From oldest to most current so I can get some context of progression within the hobby, etc.
From my research, ABS can be used for almost any purpose similar to acrylic. The main difference is that ABS does not truly react with any adhesive (unlike acrylic which bonds at molecular level with acrylic adhesive), so there is no easy way to attach ABS other than mechanical connection (such as screws) and silicone or other filler to try to seal it. Since the adhesive does not actually bond to the ABS, it should not be trusted as a leak-resistant joint without mechanical means like a gasket compressed between pieces.

As I understand it, ABS was developed for the purpose of preventing reactions with other materials, so adhesion is difficult.

Upvote 0

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I think I know which plastic you are talking about now, it’s the black corrugated drain piping often used in landscaping, heat molded into shapes like pond liners. Didn’t know you could buy it in sheets. Originally thought ABS was a reefing acronym for something else. Appreciate your clarifications.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back