How do I acclimate my tank to my new lights ?

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My evolution LEDs came in last week and I went on vacation this past week so I didnt have time to do it. How long do I keep the lights on ? And is there any way to not get diatoms and stuff like that ? I'm going from 70watt(I think it's 70) stock 29 gallon biocube lighting and to a 14k 100 watt led .
My stock light schedule is
Blue 10 - 10
White 12-8

How do I make the switch?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a huge change in intensity. Do you have a way of dimming the light? If not, look into putting several layers of screen (like from a screen window) over your tank and removing one every couple of weeks. Be very careful, you probably have 4x as much PAR going into your tank now as you did before and you can easily fry your corals.

CJ

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a huge change in intensity. Do you have a way of dimming the light? If not, look into putting several layers of screen (like from a screen window) over your tank and removing one every couple of weeks. Be very careful, you probably have 4x as much PAR going into your tank now as you did before and you can easily fry your corals.

CJ

+1

The best thing you can do in this situation is many, many layers of screen. This will block some light from getting to the tank... Then every week or so remove a layer every other week. I have seen many people do this with no problems.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its a huge jummpp and I will have to go with the screen option bec the lights aren't dimmable. Thanks will
I notice a change in attitude in my fish also ?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't see a big change in your fishes' attitude as long as you acclimate slowly enough. Also, do you have the ability to get your hands on a PAR meter? That would be your best bet for matching up PAR levels with your old lighting. I see you're in the Chicago area. My guess is that your local reef club may have one you can rent or borrow.

CJ

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not and have no idea of when or where the reed club meets and I'm about a hour outside of chi city so that's out of the question. Could I just run them for like 2 hrs a days then like bump it up half hour every week?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the window screen. I went through the same change. Go slow, I would do three layers and remove a layer every week to 10 days. I wouldn't think you would see much of a change in your fish. Also, shortening your photo period a little wouldn't hurt either.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and if you can put it as high up as you can too.. LED are crazy.. might not seem bright to your eyes but they are very intense.. Bleaching corals intense. I say if you can put it 3 feet above the waterline first. then maybe move it down 6 inches everyday 5-7 days.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no rush when it comes to light acclimation. When I had to convert my lighting from a cheap reflector to the Lumenbrights, it was 2 months before I had a full photo cycle going over my tank. Each week I added 15 minutes to each fixture, starting off with 2 hours per day (per light) for the first week. As I said, it took a lot of time but my corals were very happy and never got scorched.

Don't rush this. If you have new lighting that puts out twice as much light, running them a mere 2 hours a day is not unusual or bad. As SexyCorals pointed out, you can have them up really high at first, and observe your corals for indications of how they are doing. Each week, drop it a few inches and in 6 weeks or so, your corals may be happy with full intensity for a longer period at the hoped height.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks everyone I will try only running the lights for a short time period and experiment with the height! Gosh I need to get my tanks new lid made!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducing the photo period might help, but reducing the intensity with layers of screen is even better.

CJ

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def get your hands on a par meter. The apogee one is great. Measure it with your old light and then after you put on the new light. Add screens until its the same as the old value. Make sure you have enough in there and remove one every so often. Do it in response to your corals. If they look like they are ready for more take off another screen.

Make sure you move any corals around that might be getting too much light once the acclimation is over.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back