How do I attached Macro Algae in a reef?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got over my fear of macro in my DT and ordered some red ogo with my last order. I glued two pieces to two different rocks like I found in a video and dropped them in. 24 hours later, one has broken off and the big piece has settled elsewhere, snails and crabs are munching on the piece still glued to the rock. The other piece is thoroughly wrapped around a tuxedo urchin.

Is using macro as decoration rather than food in a reef lost cause?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fuge-type setup (but you could totally just use an acclimation box) to allow the algae to attach naturally to some pebbles, I then settled the pebbles throughout the tank and it looks really good. Just treat it as you’d treat a mushroom, loose gravel type substrate and time and the algae will attach

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got over my fear of macro in my DT and ordered some red ogo with my last order. I glued two pieces to two different rocks like I found in a video and dropped them in. 24 hours later, one has broken off and the big piece has settled elsewhere, snails and crabs are munching on the piece still glued to the rock. The other piece is thoroughly wrapped around a tuxedo urchin.

Small piece of rubble and using fishing line tied loosely around. Make sure its tight enough not to come off and affect your fish but not too tight as to damage the macro :) ~Shaun K.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small piece of rubble and using fishing line tied loosely around. Make sure its tight enough not to come off and affect your fish but not too tight as to damage the macro :) ~Shaun K.
It's not the part I glued that came off. One piece broke in half, possibly because if the current. The other was tangled in the urchin and eventually broke. The part I glued is still on both rocks I glued it to.

Do I just tie the whole thing in a ball around a rock and wait for it to grow onto something that looks plant-like?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I super glue my dragons breath and gracilaria to a rock.
I think your problem may be the urchin or crab probably ate through the middle and cut the pieces that you glued in half.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I super glue my dragons breath and gracilaria to a rock.
I think your problem may be the urchin or crab probably ate through the middle and cut the pieces that you glued in half.
So do you not have urchins and crabs? Am I out of luck if I do? It happen to two distinct pieces on the opposite side of the tank.

Sounds like a great excuse to "invest" in a display fuge. Now I just have to figure out how to sell the wife on the idea.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wedge between 2 somethings, rock and glass, 2 rocks etc
Tuxedo urchins are the disruptors of scapes.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you not have urchins and crabs? Am I out of luck if I do? It happen to two distinct pieces on the opposite side of the tank.

Sounds like a great excuse to "invest" in a display fuge. Now I just have to figure out how to sell the wife on the idea.
Lol, yes, get that display fuge.

I started a separate macro tank (without an urchin or algae eating crabs).
D27954ED-D44E-4BCC-B6AD-887E4CF7EEB7.jpeg

my urchin was moved to my sump because it was destroying the coralline in the tank. But it does eat my macros and cut pieces loose. There would be a lot more algae if I give the urchin back to the LFS ;)
3381A34E-1C0F-4856-A3AD-90F8EE00A387.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back