How do I do water changes on pod culture tank without sucking out all the pods?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

This might be a stupid question (or at least a newbie question) but how do people do water changes on their pod culture tanks? I know a lot of people keep pods in their sumps/fuges so maybe this problem isn't applicable but for people maintaining separate culture tanks how is this done without sucking up all the pods? I don't have a sump/fuge on my tank but I do have an extra 5g tank I want to culture either tiggers or apex pods but I have no idea how to do a water change without sucking them up. Is there a filter I can put over the siphon that will allow water to pass but leave behind the pods no matter their size or where they are in their cycle (adult, nauplii, etc.)? Or is there another way to do this like lure them all to one side of the tank so I can siphon from the other side?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres some useful info.
Screenshot_20210924-140753_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210924-140758_Chrome.jpg

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

This might be a stupid question (or at least a newbie question) but how do people do water changes on their pod culture tanks? I know a lot of people keep pods in their sumps/fuges so maybe this problem isn't applicable but for people maintaining separate culture tanks how is this done without sucking up all the pods? I don't have a sump/fuge on my tank but I do have an extra 5g tank I want to culture either tiggers or apex pods but I have no idea how to do a water change without sucking them up. Is there a filter I can put over the siphon that will allow water to pass but leave behind the pods no matter their size or where they are in their cycle (adult, nauplii, etc.)? Or is there another way to do this like lure them all to one side of the tank so I can siphon from the other side?
I start a gravity siphon over a screen that fits in a 5 gallon bucket. The screen captures all the pods. After the tank is mostly drained (I avoid siphoning the mulm), I stop the siphon and transfer the pods to another clean culture. They are very hardy and can tolerate this kind of handling.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres some useful info.
Screenshot_20210924-140753_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210924-140758_Chrome.jpg
Thanks! I had skimmed this and saw the part about returning the nauplii to the tank but not the adults. If I look further down to harvesting then I assume if I stick a 90 micron filter over the siphon that will allow the water through but leave the pods behind?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start a gravity siphon over a screen that fits in a 5 gallon bucket. The screen captures all the pods. After the tank is mostly drained (I avoid siphoning the mulm), I stop the siphon and transfer the pods to another clean culture. They are very hardy and can tolerate this kind of handling.
Nice! Thanks! I was concerned that siphoning them might kill them so my thinking was I had to prevent them from going up the siphon in the first place. Are you returning them back to the same container with the mulm just with clean water added back to it?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thanks! I was concerned that siphoning them might kill them so my thinking was I had to prevent them from going up the siphon in the first place. Are you returning them back to the same container with the mulm just with clean water added back to it?
I put my Apocyclops in a clean tank with no mulm after siphoning them. The Tigger-Pods, however, do get some of the mulm transferred from the harvested tank to the new tank.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video on YouTube where a guy tied a cotton ball on the end of a length of air hose and began a syphon with the cotton ball in the pod tank. He was able to keep all the pods in his tank while the water filtered out.
Nice!!! Thanks! I will have to look that up. I like the simplicity of it. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, I have these that you could use to strain the pods
Screenshot_20210924-224643_Samsung Internet.jpg
OMG, I came across these about six months ago. I can't remember why I was searching for fine netting but it would've been for my freshwater tanks. I might have actually added them to my wish list. Thanks for sharing these (and reminding me about them). :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back