How do i get my clownfish to host my anemone?

ReefKidDarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a condy before and my maroon clownfish hosted it in the first 30 min it was in my tank. Then the condy died due to a heatwave in my tank so I got 2 more and the maroon hosted both of them like a champ. I have a caramel ocellaris and a Wyoming white clownfish pair and they don't even look at the condys when I take the maroon out. So I got a rainbow bubble tip for my tank and they keep looking at it but not hosting it. What should I do to help them host it?
Here are some night pics of them looking at it. If you see the maroon in the box I already took him out and he's hosting the condys :)
1C794903-C0D3-447E-8276-FDC972C189C2.jpeg

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown never bonded with my BTA. It does however live in the hammer coral. I don't think there is anything you can do but hope.

onegreenray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I do believe its something that is taught. I had a pair of clowns 10 years ago, that where tank breed that would not host a rbta. I bought a wild caught clown fish at the pet store, it dove into the anemone, the two tank breed went in after him and never left. I removed the wild clown and gave him to a good home to another local reefer. That mated pair where cool for the last ten years, till the female died this year of old age. I bought 4 more mixed tank breed clowns. The original male showed the four tank breed how to anemone surf. ill post a picture of the tank later so you get the idea of why so many clown in one tank. 20210329_175015.jpg

Attachments

• 20210329_175016.mp4
    35.6 MB
Last edited:

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes times for clownfish to develop protection from the sting of a new anemone. You say they are looking at it? What they would be doing to adapt is occasionally brush their mouth up against the anemone. If they don't take to the anemone on their own there are a variety of things you can try but the most effective solutions involve a newly introduced Clownfish. If they have been living just fine without the anemone there isn't much pushing them to change their minds.
Having other fish to challenge the clownfish for territory is usually helpful, and a good idea in general as you really want to control the amount of territory claimed by clownfish as they are far and away the most territorial fish we keep in this hobby, but obviously it isn't easy to wrest territory away from a clownfish. Notice I saw territorial and not aggressive.
It is also possible if the clownfish mate that they would take to the bta as it is always nice to have an anemone to protect your eggs.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone hosts the clown. That being said I've had mine for over a year. Even played them youtube videos. Sometimes they just dont want to do it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back