How do I get this fan to fit?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aqua Medic light has a loud fan and me being overly sensitive for aquarium noise, that sound needs to go. I ordered this computer fan, the fan itself fits fine, except for the little plug. It's twice the size of the original fan's plug and has 3 wires instead of 2.

Is there any way I get this thing to fit?

20201016_132159.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as long as the two fans are the same voltage. Use a paper clip or thin wires and connect the fan a few different ways. You probably won't need the center wire on that 3 wife configuration so connect using a temporary wire the two outer wires from the 3 wire plug to the two wire one. (Ignore the center wire)That usually works as I have quite a few fans working like that.
Check that the fan is going the right way. You may have to connect the wires opposite to change the direction as those fans are DC and can go both ways.

If that doesn't work, try using diferent wires from the 3 wire plug but it's usually the center wire that is not needed for what you are doing.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 3 wire fan trying replace a 2 wire fan. You can always splice the wires with the old fan leads. On the 3 wire it's usually the outside 2 wires that supply power and the middle wire is PWM. You'll have to check that the fan is spinning the correct way and, if not, reverse the wires.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got it in. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as silent as I was hoping. Still less loud than the original fan though, so at least it's an improvement.

Is it normal to be able to very, very clearly hear it blowing if I'm standing about 10 feet away? The light itself is very compact (Aqua Medic Qube 50), thus the fan is small as well. Am I expecting too much?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal and yes you are expecting to much. If you can hear it from 10' away, it is a powerful fan

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm stubborn. Just took the fan out and turned the light back on. Fan is pretty much completely silent. As soon as I place it back inside the housing, the noise is back.

Inside the light is this sort of grate, not sure what to call it. It's screwed on the lens (which actually stays in place when I remove the grate) and the fan is screwed on top of the grate. If I remove the grate, the noise is mostly gone. Any ideas what the exact purpose is of this grate? Would it cause any problems if I were to remove it and figure something out to place the fan on?

20201019_111418.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the grate. it's to keep flies and bugs from getting in. Don't worry about it.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm stubborn. Just took the fan out and turned the light back on. Fan is pretty much completely silent. As soon as I place it back inside the housing, the noise is back.

Inside the light is this sort of grate, not sure what to call it. It's screwed on the lens (which actually stays in place when I remove the grate) and the fan is screwed on top of the grate. If I remove the grate, the noise is mostly gone. Any ideas what the exact purpose is of this grate? Would it cause any problems if I were to remove it and figure something out to place the fan on?

20201019_111418.jpg

That's the heatsink. You absolutely need to keep it, otherwise the led may overheat and fail. The noise is from the air resistance, not the fan. If you need it quieter you will want a fan with lower cfm.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the heatsink. You absolutely need to keep it, otherwise the led may overheat and fail. The noise is from the air resistance, not the fan. If you need it quieter you will want a fan with lower cfm.
I see, I'll leave it in.

Took a quick vid to show what it sounds like, since something being loud is very subjective. Imagine it 10 times worse. Is this still a normal amount of noise for this size light/fan? This is with the new fan.

Sorry for the nagging, tank noises drive me insane, so I want it to become as silent as possible.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the heatsink. You absolutely need to keep it, otherwise the led may overheat and fail.

If it's the heatsink, yes you need it. I can't tell from the picture, I thought it was just the grill.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I'll leave it in.

Took a quick vid to show what it sounds like, since something being loud is very subjective. Imagine it 10 times worse. Is this still a normal amount of noise for this size light/fan? This is with the new fan.

Sorry for the nagging, tank noises drive me insane, so I want it to become as silent as possible.

It sounds like a fan ... Hard to tell if it's consider loud. But if you really want quiet, get a noctua fan. Like this

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back