How do I keep my Alkalinty stable? I’m still kinda new to all this.

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I know my question is probably a broad subject. So I will start with some background. as well as what my issue is to see if someone can help me key in.
background: I’ve had my tank about a year and a half. It is my first tank. It’s a 55 gallon 2nd hand tank. I have a refugium style filter with live chaeto on one side and live rock and a carbon bag on the other. I have 2 jaebo wave makers one on each side of the tank. My lights have just been up graded to AI 32 HDs 2 months ago.
my tank is a mix of softies And LPS(mostly) 3 SPS corals(birds nest, burning banan, and a plante type one with a bunch of tiny lil polyps) and 4 encrusting type corals. All corals including the SPS corals are doing well. But my 4 encrusting corals are not(they are 2 favias, a montiporia, and one I don’t remember the name of but it’s a bright orange yellowish color). The problem is these 4 pieces are turning purple on 3 of them and the one favia has black spot at the top and white spots on other parts of it. I first thought my issue was phosphates but I changed from feeding frozen food and do weekly water changes. My phosphates now seem to be in check right around 0.025-0.030.
But my alkalinty seems to climb during the week.if I check my ALK about 24 hours after a water change On Saturday AM I’m getting 7 usually sometimes 8(Sunday AM).But if I check daily the number rises for 7/8 to up 10/11 by By Thursday. I’m really beginning to think this alkalinity upswing is what’s affecting my encrusting corals.
so the question is what can I do(what do I need to invest in) to keep my alkalinity consistently on one number?
thanks for listening.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals consume alk so most folk report that it trends down, not up? If you are using enriched alk salt that could be the source of your upswings? Otherwise, some information seems to be missing to provide you with an answer-

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals consume alk so most folk report that it trends down, not up? If you are using enriched alk salt that could be the source of your upswings? Otherwise, some information seems to be missing to provide you with an answer-
I’m using aqua forest reef salt to make my water.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the kalk response read your thread correctly. That helps to supplement alk and stabilize ph.

Alkalinity going up is very strange to me without dosing on your end. Are you dosing any additives currently? The first thing that came to mind is not topping off but I dont think you'd be 1.5years deep if that was the issue. A rise in salinity would mean a rise in alkalinity as well.

What are you testing alk with?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the kalk response read your thread correctly. That helps to supplement alk and stabilize ph.

Alkalinity going up is very strange to me without dosing on your end. Are you dosing any additives currently? The first thing that came to mind is not topping off but I dont think you'd be 1.5years deep if that was the issue. A rise in salinity would mean a rise in alkalinity as well.

Actually it's the Calcium I use it for

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An API test kit. I’m dosing NoPox to keep my phosphates low.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has me stumped is at 20% how are you dropping down to 7 dkh every week after a water change from 10-11? Seems like your mixed salt would have to be sooo much lower than 7 to get that reading.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has me stumped is at 20% how are you dropping down to 7 dkh every week after a water change from 10-11? Seems like your mixed salt would have to be sooo much lower than 7 to get that reading.
I have my concerns about the api test kits as sometimes when I check ammonia or ph I get some crazy reading and then the 2nd sample will be much more normal. I invested in a Hanna checker for phosphate. About to do the same for alk. Well let’s look at my issue...
all my softies SPS and lps are happy it is only the encrusting type corals I am having an issue with where 3 have lost thier color in patches and are now purple. One piece is turning black to the top and white on the sides. could this be something else??
salinity 1.025
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5ppm
phosphate 0.030
magnesium 1350
calcium 460
alk: 9 today 7 yesterday seems to be the trend.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back