How do I know when I did run out of copepods

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there guys!
3 days ago I went to the fish store and I bought two ocellaris (the only members of my tank). When I asked the owner, he told me that I didnt have to buy frozen food, he just sold me a bag of copepods and rotifers (I guess I didnt have any, because rock was dead and it was new) and phyto. How do I know when I ran out of these animals? When should I buy more of them?
Thank you in advance!

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old or what size are they?

Not saying they can’t survive off of those but they really need food like Lrs reef frenzy, frozen piscine pe mysis, high quality pellets like TDO, sustainable aquatics, piscine and just like us should get a variety.

We feed ours all of the above and their colors have really brightened up since varying their diet

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old or what size are they?

Not saying they can’t survive off of those but they really need food like Lrs reef frenzy, frozen piscine pe mysis, high quality pellets like TDO, sustainable aquatics, piscine and just like us should get a variety.

We feed ours all of the above and their colors have really brightened up since varying their diet
I cant tell how old they are, but they are quite small, 1 inch aproximately. The owner told me that It was enought with this even when I insisted on buying frozen food, so you recommend me buying it anyway?
Thank you for your reponse!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant tell how old they are, but they are quite small, 1 inch aproximately. The owner told me that It was enought with this even when I insisted on buying frozen food, so you recommend me buying it anyway?
Thank you for your reponse!
Sounds like they were trying to sell you extra stuff. Yes they need food like a frozen food they are not going to eat what they sold you to it too small for them to even find

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they were trying to sell you extra stuff. Yes they need food like a frozen food they are not going to eat what they sold you to it too small for them to even find
Alright, thank you so much. I hope they are not starving right now:(( I tought they were eating the pods

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods are part of the ecosystem, so no harm in adding them.

Your clowns will need more, though. Get a little variety of frozen items, maybe a good quality pellet like TDO Chromaboost. Mix it up. Varied nutrition is important for them too.

The single clown in my nano gets 1/4 to 1/3 of a cube once or twice a day.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods are part of the ecosystem, so no harm in adding them.

Your clowns will need more, though. Get a little variety of frozen items, maybe a good quality pellet like TDO Chromaboost. Mix it up. Varied nutrition is important for them too.

The single clown in my nano gets 1/4 to 1/3 of a cube once or twice a day.
Alright, thank you so much!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thank you so much. I hope they are not starving right now:(( I tought they were eating the pods
No worries they probably ate a few of them but frozen brine or mysis right now will get you started about a 1/4 of a cube and you can keep the rest of the cube in a plastic cup in the fridge

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, guys!
This morninf I went to the LFS and he sold me this. What do you think? (The thing is that in the moment they didnt have too many things).
He told me to feed them just once a day, alternatinf between these things he sold me.
Thank you so much in advance, guys!!

20200217_113921.jpg 20200217_113818.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello there, guys!
This morninf I went to the LFS and he sold me this. What do you think? (The thing is that in the moment they didnt have too many things).
He told me to feed them just once a day, alternatinf between these things he sold me.
Thank you so much in advance, guys!!
Those aren't too bad. Basic saltwater fish food.
One thing I would point out is, if the store you bought the clowns from, told you to not buy food and have them depend on pods for food, I would not depend on this place for good information.

I think you are in the right place now for that.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One thing I just thought of.
You said the clowns are really small.
You might want to get some small fish sized pellets.
I'm not sure what size those Formula Two pellets are, but I use 1mm PE Pellets for my smaller fish.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aren't too bad. Basic saltwater fish food.
One thing I would point out is, if the store you bought the clowns from, told you to not buy food and have them depend on pods for food, I would not depend on this place for good information.

I think you are in the right place now for that.
Alright! Thank you so much! And yes, thats what I tough! I can tell you all guys know about this and you are very kind, so Ill be posting here all my doubts, thank you so much!

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I just thought of.
You said the clowns are really small.
You might want to get some small fish sized pellets.
I'm not sure what size those Formula Two pellets are, but I use 1mm PE Pellets for my smaller fish.
The pellets I bought are quite small, so I think it will fit them correctly! Thank you!

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have .8 and 1.0 pellets. I think we probably have more fish food in the refrigerator/freezer than we do people food.
I like to feed 2x when we work and 3-4x way smaller portions when we’re off. Pellets in the AM and a mixture of frozen, flakes, and pellets that thaws and mixes in a small cup. Another thing they seem to go nuts over is the oyster feast that needs refrigeration

I think it’s my excuse to feed them often but I like to think it keeps any aggression to a minimum

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be good with those pellets and the mysis. Pods are a good thing to have in a tank, and I’m sure that the clowns ate some of them, but as others have said, they can’t survive off of them alone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back