OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have .8 and 1.0 pellets. I think we probably have more fish food in the refrigerator/freezer than we do people food.
I like to feed 2x when we work and 3-4x way smaller portions when we’re off. Pellets in the AM and a mixture of frozen, flakes, and pellets that thaws and mixes in a small cup. Another thing they seem to go nuts over is the oyster feast that needs refrigeration

I think it’s my excuse to feed them often but I like to think it keeps any aggression to a minimum
Okay!! I think I will try to feed them two times a day. Frozen food in the morning and pellets in the afternoon. Thank you!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Okay!! I think I will try to feed them two times a day. Frozen food in the morning and pellets in the afternoon. Thank you!
Remember to feed light if you do.
Nothing adds phosphate to a tank faster than fish food.
Phosphate = algae in many cases.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to feed light if you do.
Nothing adds phosphate to a tank faster than fish food.
Phosphate = algae in many cases.
Yes I second that ... if your feeding more often, then less is more. I saw one video, can’t remember if it was brs or one of the other distributors but they said like 4-5 bites should be enough...
Anyone else that does small feedings can weigh in on that.
I have 6 fish I feed once a day in my 56 gal tank about 1/2 a frozen cube.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed alot make sure you can export those nutrients, I have a small 34 gallon with a 9 gallon sump but feed 2 cubes a day plus pellet and whatever else looks fun, but I have a way over rated skimmer, 2 small Algae scrubbers and very fine filter socks to clean it all up, not to mention a huge CleanUpCrew! If you don't have a huge way to export nutrients, start slowly on the food and gradually increase otherwise your bio filter and physical filters won't keep up, then you'll get frustrated with hair Algae and that's no fun.. Good luck and have fun!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if the pellets seem a bit large break them up a little. I agree with variety. Those little cuties will likely grow up and become territorial. Keep that in mind. I have 2 pairs, in 2 tanks. I love them though.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I second that ... if your feeding more often, then less is more. I saw one video, can’t remember if it was brs or one of the other distributors but they said like 4-5 bites should be enough...
Anyone else that does small feedings can weigh in on that.
I have 6 fish I feed once a day in my 56 gal tank about 1/2 a frozen cube.
Alright, thank you so much. I guess I will have to figure out how much food is the right amount in my case! Thank you!

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed alot make sure you can export those nutrients, I have a small 34 gallon with a 9 gallon sump but feed 2 cubes a day plus pellet and whatever else looks fun, but I have a way over rated skimmer, 2 small Algae scrubbers and very fine filter socks to clean it all up, not to mention a huge CleanUpCrew! If you don't have a huge way to export nutrients, start slowly on the food and gradually increase otherwise your bio filter and physical filters won't keep up, then you'll get frustrated with hair Algae and that's no fun.. Good luck and have fun!
Yeah, you are right! Actually my filtration is just the minumum amount. Thank you for your words and recommendations!

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if the pellets seem a bit large break them up a little. I agree with variety. Those little cuties will likely grow up and become territorial. Keep that in mind. I have 2 pairs, in 2 tanks. I love them though.
Yeah! I was able to see that today, the pellets were a bit big for the smaller one. I will try to break them tomorrow! Thank you so much for your time and recommendations!

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small clown pairs can be great fun to have. Even with lots of other fish in the tank, they will stay together all the time.
All of the advice I've seen here is right on target. If the pellets are a little bit too big now, just pick up a pack of frozen spirulina brine shrimp next time you're at the LFS. Those and the frozen mysis shrimp are a good basic diet for clownfish.

Feed sparingly and often.

For a small tank with no corals or other critters to consume the really small particles, it makes sense to rinse your frozen foods before feeding. That way you're only putting food into the tank that you know the fish will eat.
Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are good and won't hurt your tank in any way, but your clowns won't eat them or even see them as they are to small. There are almost no "adult" fish that will live on pods except pipefish and varieties of dragonettes like mandarins, not clownfish which need meaty food.

Those fish only need frozen food such as LRS food. No fish needs dry foods or pellets although it won't hurt them.
My clowns are 29 years old and still spawning, they never tasted dry food. Frozen food is really the same as fresh food and that is what your fish were eating in the sea and what they should be eating for the rest of their life.

Frozen mysis will also keep your fish alive but not the best food for a small clownfish. Frozen mysis are tiny shrimp like creatures and mostly shell. That shell is not calcium and not digestible so it is just wasted.
Anything with clams in it would be the best food.

They need nothing more.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small clown pairs can be great fun to have. Even with lots of other fish in the tank, they will stay together all the time.
All of the advice I've seen here is right on target. If the pellets are a little bit too big now, just pick up a pack of frozen spirulina brine shrimp next time you're at the LFS. Those and the frozen mysis shrimp are a good basic diet for clownfish.

Feed sparingly and often.

For a small tank with no corals or other critters to consume the really small particles, it makes sense to rinse your frozen foods before feeding. That way you're only putting food into the tank that you know the fish will eat.
Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
Wow!! Thank you so much for your words and time.
Today I tried to break the food and it went well, but I am concerned about something. If I break the food, It will go to the bottom of the tank faster, so fishes will not eat it and that will rise nitrates and phosphates, isnt it? So maybe it would be a good idea to buy what you told me until fishes grow up!
Thank you!

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are good and won't hurt your tank in any way, but your clowns won't eat them or even see them as they are to small. There are almost no "adult" fish that will live on pods except pipefish and varieties of dragonettes like mandarins, not clownfish which need meaty food.

Those fish only need frozen food such as LRS food. No fish needs dry foods or pellets although it won't hurt them.
My clowns are 29 years old and still spawning, they never tasted dry food. Frozen food is really the same as fresh food and that is what your fish were eating in the sea and what they should be eating for the rest of their life.

Frozen mysis will also keep your fish alive but not the best food for a small clownfish. Frozen mysis are tiny shrimp like creatures and mostly shell. That shell is not calcium and not digestible so it is just wasted.
Anything with clams in it would be the best food.

They need nothing more.
Alright!! Thank you so much,I didnt know that, I will take that into consideration. I really hope my clownfishes live this longer!

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with your clowns, but really cool...

Wait till the lights on the tank and the room has been dark for a bit, and use a red light on the tank. It won't alarm the inhabitants, but will let see an entirely different view of your tank and how it lives at night. Pods, snails, and critters that are less noticed during the day become active. Coral's with the feeding tentacles. It is very cool.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with your clowns, but really cool...

Wait till the lights on the tank and the room has been dark for a bit, and use a red light on the tank. It won't alarm the inhabitants, but will let see an entirely different view of your tank and how it lives at night. Pods, snails, and critters that are less noticed during the day become active. Coral's with the feeding tentacles. It is very cool.
Oh! Okay! Thank you so much, that seems nice, I am definitely going to try it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back