How Do I Quarantine Live Rock and Live Sand

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to switch from a petco 20g long to a fijicube 20gal AIO, and I'm planning on buying some live rock and live sand.
Problem is, how do I quarantine them, do I just let them sit in the tank for 45 days and stir the sand constantly? I don't care about all those "pests", I just want to get rid of ich and velvet and all those parasites.
Any ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm going to switch from a petco 20g long to a fijicube 20gal AIO, and I'm planning on buying some live rock and live sand.
Problem is, how do I quarantine them, do I just let them sit in the tank for 45 days and stir the sand constantly? I don't care about all those "pests", I just want to get rid of ich and velvet and all those parasites.
Any ideas?
Typical is to place in a brute or similar garbage can with saltwater mixed and a running flow pump to circulate and allowing pests rto dislodge.
Do care about pests which can reap havoc in one swipe. At 45-60 days, any parasites will likely be rid of as they will have no hosts- therefore no life cycle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also add liquid bacteria while waiting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be at least 80.6 degrees for 45 days. If it drops below you need to go 76 days
That’s not quite true. If it drops for a day, you just need to add a day to the timeframe. If it drops for a week, just add an extra week.
The 45 day time is for people that have some compelling reason to speed the process up. If you don’t have sensitive animals, you can go even warmer. I used to raise tanks to 86 f.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not quite true. If it drops for a day, you just need to add a day to the timeframe. If it drops for a week, just add an extra week.
The 45 day time is for people that have some compelling reason to speed the process up. If you don’t have sensitive animals, you can go even warmer. I used to raise tanks to 86 f.

Jay
So suppose I can keep them at 86F (by removing delicate creatures such as coral and macroalgae), do I still have to keep it for 45 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So suppose I can keep them at 86F (by removing delicate creatures such as coral and macroalgae), do I still have to keep it for 45 days?

That's a good question, nobody really has a definitive answer for that, since no studies have ever been done except anecdotally. I would not go less than 45 days, 86 degrees just makes the 45 days timeframe a safer bet.

Jay

Back