How do I record good videos of my reef tank?

Tomknox47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a lot of you tubers capture great footage of their tanks however, I can’t seem to do the same not sure if it’s settings or if people edit them post recording.
I have a canon 5d mark 4 dslr camera and also an iPhone x.
Kessil AP700 lights( not sure if that matters)
With the iPhone the blues are completely over saturated and the colors are just washed out.
Same goes with my dslr I can adjust the white balance but the colors are still off for example orange would be a bright red and doesn’t really look like what the corals actually do in person.
I’ve went through the forums and tried some tips. But the tips are mainly directed towards photos and less on the video side.
Two things I have heard with mixed reviews are using an orange filter lens or an app on the iPhone to adjust settings. If anyone has found out how to shoot great videos on a dslr or iPhone please give me some pointers such as settings, or specific lens filters that you’d recommend.
I’d love to start filming more videos to document my reef journey on YouTube, just sort of difficult when everything is “ overly blue”

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a tru-vu for my phone, although there are many brands now probably all about the same
for dlsr you can get a filter pack that goes on the lens brown is best, from what I hear
something like this
Filter link

jeffm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree filming is really tricky. I tried some editing after taking the video on my dslr and it looked ok if you drop the blues a lot but still not the best. An orange filter on your phone works pretty well and If you set your lighting to all blue then the orange filter will make your colors pop more.

I recently got an Olympus Tg-6 underwater camera and it does a really good job of taking video and the colors look really good actually. I put all of my lights to a more white light for this camera. I would recommend it if you are serious about video. It has worked great for me so far.

Hope this helps! It is just what I have tried so there is probably better advice out there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back