How do I Stabilize my Ph level?

FLuSHToWnReeFeRNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up reef world I need help to stabilize my Ph levels ? Since I just finished cycling my new tank my ph level is 7.8 , and I've been reading that this level is fine to start with a Clownfish which is great but I would eventually like to add new fish as well and the recommended PH level for other fish is around 8.1-8.4 . Also read that it's not easy to keep the levels stable or consistent with Baking soda or Ph doses.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up reef world I need help to stabilize my Ph levels ? Since I just finished cycling my new tank my ph level is 7.8 , and I've been reading that this level is fine to start with a Clownfish which is great but I would eventually like to add new fish as well and the recommended PH level for other fish is around 8.1-8.4 . Also read that it's not easy to keep the levels stable or consistent with Baking soda or Ph doses.

I know this is not what you expected to hear. But do not bother about PH - fish dont care. Just get your tank cycled and well aerated ( wavemakers that cause surface agitation and/or run a skimmer).

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that running a tank with a pH of 7.8 is really an issue if you do want to raise your pH one natural way to do it is to reduce the amount of CO2 in your water. That is easiest to do if you are running a protein skimmer, if you can have the protein skimmer pull in air from outside, or use a CO2 scrubber so that the air it is putting into the water contains less CO2. Often something as simple as opening a window to get fresh air in your house will raise pH (although not an option long term for most people). I'd strongly reccomend against adding anything with the sole purpose of raising your pH, it seems like it will lead to more problems than anything else.
Also, some pH fluctuations during the day/night are normal for a tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FLuSHToWnReeFeRNY

FLuSHToWnReeFeRNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is not what you expected to hear. But do not bother about PH - fish dont care. Just get your tank cycled and well aerated ( wavemakers that cause surface agitation and/or run a skimmer).
Thanks, definitely have wave makers to help with that just didn't have them pointed all the way to the top of the water.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back