How do I take care of damsel's egg?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though clowns are damsels their young aren't the same...damsels young, which usually hatch at night are very small larval state, unlike clowns which you can feed. Damsel's young will become coral/fish food. I have had many pairs of damsels lay eggs over the years, but never able to capture or even attempt to rear them ...congrats thats a sign of a healthy tank...you can contact Todd Gardner at the Long Island Aquarium,(formally Atlantis Marine World) here on Long Island. He stops by our club meetings from time to time and has given many talks on the subject. He is the only one I know of who is actually raising larval species staged young.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really?

just get a couple rotti cultures going "S" and "L", because damsels are smaller you will need to start with the "S" rotti's, remove the eggs just before they hatch and put them in a small tank with a sponge filter

still the same process as raising clowns and not all that hard as far as breeding sw species of fish

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's alittle more complicated than that depending on the species because many in their larval stage don't eat until their yolk sac is used up...this is also when most if not all die off from dieases etc ...if anyone has any success in breeding damsels besides clowns or any other larval species fish please chime....google some of the lectures from Todd he has alot of information on the subject...he is currently raising basslets.

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice! I wish I took some vids of my Azure damsels watching the eggs. from what I've read, the male does take care of the eggs. saw the comment on your YT. :)

good luck if you decide to try to raise the babies.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to find the links to when I tried my hand at breeding and raising war paint gobies. at the time I think I was one of the first to get them to breed in captivity. it wasnt possible for me to spend the time it took to successfully raise them

S-rotifers are harder to culture than L-rotifers but not all that hard if you have the time. keeping the S culture going will be most of the work,
when you do get the cultures going dont be shy adding them to the tank the eggs are hatching in as soon as they start hatching,so when they do use up the yolk sack they will have lots of food to eat right away

check out the mofib site lots of useful info

Last edited:

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... if you do try to raise them and remove the egg nest also remove the guarding parent because they need to tend the nest by fanning them etc..or the nest will foul... with my humbugs and blue devils it was the males tending and with all my other damsels like my Talbots, Rolands and Azures it was very difficult to tell male from the female....like I mentioned I never had any luck capturing or raising them so keep us posted and good luck! I'm currently trying to breed blue eyed cardinals. There isn't much info out there on them like incubation period etc...so since they are mouth broaders like their cousins the Bangaiis and treating them the same way...

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the college down the road breeds striped cardnials,seahorses,and damsels. the other college u-maine orano is where soren started out(sea&reef aquaculture)
both colleges publish there info soren has to publish some because the govt pd for all his stuff when they gave him $$$ for a project breeding flame angels and shrimp
between the 3 bigger colleges here in maine they are breeding probably 20-30 types of sw species it really isnt that hard its all trial and error and keep notes to help the "next guy"

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back