How do people transport corals back from out of town shows

jamo130788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to reef a palooza in Orlando in may and want to buy some coral - wondering how people get it back to their home ( in my case Chicago)

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people buy the frag transports especially when flying out of Orlando... i would go a step further and get the insulated one or put whatever I buy in a cooler to try and keep temp stable that’s the most important factor

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats actually a good idea.
Ask a lfs in the area to hold your goods until the day you leave. Not be responsable for any losses and maybe offer to buy 1 or 2 of the lfs items to take home as well in return as good gesture.
D

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take it with you on the plane.

Call ahead if you’re concerned.

It just needs to be clearly what it is in a small bag of water. You just request special attention when you enter the tsa checkpoint. No reason to run it through the machines. If it’s a slow day tsa agents might wave others over to see. I traveled with some dart frogs last year with no issue (no water obviously, in a deli cup).

Enjoy!
-Andrew

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy answer?

With 2021 prices, no one can afford buying any coral pieces from a frag booth unless they have their own Lear Jet....and they transport them that way

Raining Money GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy answer?

With 2021 prices, no one can afford buying any coral pieces from a frag booth unless they have their own Lear Jets...and they transport them that way

Raining Money GIF by memecandy

You are aware it’s in Florida. Pretty much everyone there has their pilots license and can help transport your goods. I’m pretty sure you’re born and get a disney world pass for life and a pilots license.

-Andrew

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Heading to reef a palooza in Orlando in may and want to buy some coral - wondering how people get it back to their home ( in my case Chicago)

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks
I have one of those cheap digital aquatic life temp probe things. Sometimes the summer gets hot after rap, have to toss in some cooled water bottles in my old Styrofoam box, lots of water in those bags. Heatpack just incase I need one

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought one of these when I did RAP in NY 2 years ago. Works great and is insulated. Of course it was a 6 hour drive instead of an airplane.

AstoriaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people buy the frag transports especially when flying out of Orlando... i would go a step further and get the insulated one or put whatever I buy in a cooler to try and keep temp stable that’s the most important factor
Hey I brought back coral from San Francisco CA to NY. Bring pee cups there 3.5 ounces and they will not give you any problem. But there ask anything just tell what it is they’ll let you through on your carry on

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I brought back coral from San Francisco CA to NY. Bring pee cups there 3.5 ounces and they will not give you any problem. But there ask anything just tell what it is they’ll let you through on your carry on
Yup I mean I prefer the frag transports but as long as they can see it’s alive and there’s no toxic substances you should be good lol

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd be interested on the success rate of getting corals in water through TSA security. Maybe if you keep them within the 3.5oz/1qt sized bag you might be ok but you won't be able to fit many in a 1qt bag.

Even if the regulation posted above allows corals then there's no guarantee that TSA will let them through. I have had scissors confiscated in the past that should have been allowed through (they were short enough to be legal for carry on) but there was no arguing; they weren't interested/didn't have time to check the regulations so I had to throw them away.

What would you do if you get to security and they say no? Is it worth the risk?

Back