How do y'all afford the hobby?

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, have just set up my first 180L (Just under a 50-gallon tank) with the hope of upgrading in the next year or two to 125 gallons (Keeping fingers crossed.). I would love to upgrade sooner, but how does everyone afford it?! I have seen ads from people selling off equipment/tanks etc because they have upgraded in the space of a couple of months. I am not stupid with my money, but even if I recycled everything I currently had I could not afford a 125 for at least a year. Sorry for the rant, I am just feeling very disheartened and need help keeping this dream alive.

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, have just set up my first 180L (Just under a 50-gallon tank) with the hope of upgrading in the next year or two to 125 gallons (Keeping fingers crossed.). I would love to upgrade sooner, but how does everyone afford it?! I have seen ads from people selling off equipment/tanks etc because they have upgraded in the space of a couple of months. I am not stupid with my money, but even if I recycled everything I currently had I could not afford a 125 for at least a year. Sorry for the rant, I am just feeling very disheartened and need help keeping this dream alive.
Alot of people do used like off facebook personally just their job some people make more than others and thats how.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobby is just that a hobby. Only spend what you can afford and enjoy each size tank. No need to impress anyone with the size of your tank. Some of the most beautiful tanks are nano tanks or medium sized tanks. If you become a slave to the hobby you will no longer enjoy it!

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some very rough diamonds in the budget category, but I’ve managed to get a little collection of used name brand stuff over the years. Ended up becoming good buddies with the LFS staff and they’d offer me deals on breakdown stuff that didn’t end up on the store shelves.
I also only keep nanos myself though.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your post is asking about affording the hobby, and doesn't necessarily say it's "too expensive". But there has been a lot of discussion in recent years about the hobby being more expensive than ever. I for one agreed with that until I realized that if you get caught up with the fancy tanks you see on Instagram, or a lot of the tanks here, you start developing this feeling that you need $950 Radion lights or $800 VorTechs. That simply isn't true. We so often see the upper extent of the range of equipment associated with great looking tanks and forget that we can run a great tank with DIY / used / affordable equipment.

You didn't mention equipment, but if you make the right choices, you can run a tank for very little cost. Often times, people are getting rid of out-of-trend equipment for free or next to it. And that stuff usually works well.

Same with corals. Some of our hobby's OG corals are way more amazing than the latest trendy collector pieces.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Onlyfans...

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your post is asking about affording the hobby, and doesn't necessarily say it's "too expensive". But there has been a lot of discussion in recent years about the hobby being more expensive than ever. I for one agreed with that until I realized that if you get caught up with the fancy tanks you see on Instagram, or a lot of the tanks here, you start developing this feeling that you need $950 Radion lights or $800 VorTechs. That simply isn't true. We so often see the upper extent of the range of equipment associated with great looking tanks and forget that we can run a great tank with DIY / used / affordable equipment.

You didn't mention equipment, but if you make the right choices, you can run a tank for very little cost. Often times, people are getting rid of out-of-trend equipment for free or next to it. And that stuff usually works well.

Same with corals. Some of our hobby's OG corals are way more amazing than the latest trendy collector pieces.
Nailed it. Too many people drinking the reef Koolaid. Costs can be contained by avoiding all the bougie gear, overpriced glass boxes, etc.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number one if you want a 125 start with a 125 a 50 gallon will get you started but then you have to move everything to the 125 now you spent the money on a 55 and a 125 save your money. A 125 all lit up with pumps and rafugium or algea turf scrubber will run you 125 dollars in electricity a month so keep that in mind.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are pretty parks and recreation GIF

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find these threads amusing.
We paid $54,000 for our first house. 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths on a fenced corner lot with a garage and full basement.
The cost of a mid model pick up truck now.
Yes this hobby costs more than it ever has. So does everything else.
I sold my truck and bought a small car.
Almost like magic the 10 gallons to fill it up costs more than 18 to fill the pickup I traded in.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find these threads amusing.
We paid $54,000 for our first house. 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths on a fenced corner lot with a garage and full basement.
The cost of a mid model pick up truck now.
Yes this hobby costs more than it ever has. So does everything else.
I sold my truck and bought a small car.
Almost like magic the 10 gallons to fill it up costs more than 18 to fill the pickup I traded in.

Mid Model Pickups are more like 70k now, but your point still stands. Lol

Back