How do you adjust the valve, float & what is the correct water level on the ATO for the Reefer 250?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but my installer never added any water to the ATO on my new Reefer 250 that was delivered on Tuesday and said it could wait. I heard a loud noise from the pump chamber yesterday and discovered that the water had evaporated to the point that the pump was half exposed to air. I added RO to the pump chamber yesterday so there was enough to cover the pump. Today I added more RO water to the pump chamber and also to the empty ATO as the water level in the pump chamber became low once again the pump was making the same loud noise.

I am not sure how to properly adjust the small white valve on the tubing that goes from the ATO to the pump chamber, do you turn it clockwise or counter clockwise to open it and approximately how many turns do you do? I looks pretty flimsy and I am afraid if I turn it too far the top of this valve will come right off and I will have water shooting out of the tubing.

How do I know that the float is working properly?

What is the correct water level for the ATO?

IMG_9806.jpeg
IMG_9808.jpeg

IMG_9809.jpeg

Last edited:

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn the white knob counterclockwise to open and it should have a steady drip flow when your water level is low in the pump chamber. The level of water will only rise according to the float valve. It is adjustable. I would leave it at the factory setting and get the water flowing from your reservoir before making any adjustments. Essentially you want the water level to be a few inches above your return pump intake.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the white knob counterclockwise to open and it should have a steady drip flow when your water level is low in the pump chamber. The level of water will only rise according to the float valve. It is adjustable. I would leave it at the factory setting and get the water flowing from your reservoir before making any adjustments. Essentially you want the water level to be a few inches above your return pump intake.

Hi Mario,
Thanks for the information, I just measured the water level and it is 1.5 inches above the top of the Vectra S1's intake so based on what you said wouldn't that be too low? Should I turn the white knob all the way counter clockwise or is there a risk that it will separate from the valve and water will shoot out causing a mess?

When the valve is properly open will I be able to see water flowing in the fairly clear part of the white plastic between the 2 black tubes attached to the valve?
Regards, Robert

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Ventura M1 and my water level is 5 3/4 inches.

Do not loosen the white knob too much or it will come off.

You can remove the black tubing from the float valve and adjust the knob so you see a fast drip, then reattach it. You can pinch the tubing to stop the flow while reattaching it to the float valve. You can also test the flow by pressing down on the bulb to see the water drip out of the clear plastic piece.

Truthfully I removed this ATO setup about a year after setting up my tank because it would get clogged up and stop working every so often. Hope you don’t have the same issue.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Robert! I have the Red Sea E-260 with the sump upgrade, (which is the exact same sump). You have the valve adjusted properly for maximum flow. To adjust the float valve you pull it up or down which will cause it to "click", I have the same pump and have the float adjusted where the water level in the pump chamber it even with the top of the blue nut on the output of the pump.

kth132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just that little cap that I need to adjust I'll just order a new one rather than dealing with Red Sea couldn't be more than a few dollars it's just a piece of plastic though I'm not sure how it could be faulty

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just that little cap that I need to adjust I'll just order a new one rather than dealing with Red Sea couldn't be more than a few dollars it's just a piece of plastic though I'm not sure how it could be faulty
If you are in warranty they should replace it for free.
Call 888-733-7329.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back