How do you choose the fish in your tank

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you all choose which fish you want in your reef tank?

I'm about 2.5 months into my first reef tank. She's a 90-gallon that currently houses one pair of clowns (ocellaris and a gladiator). I'm following the BRS 5-minute guide and they suggest some "utilitarian fish" as the next group to join my tank. they mention Yellow Tang, bristletooth tang (i'm thinking yellow eye kole), coris wrasse, algae/lawnmower blenny, etc. Some of those I would like in my tank (blenny and Kole tank) and some I don't (not a fan of yellow tangs). Do I really NEED tangs in a 90-gallon? Does every fish need to "play a role" or can it just be that I like the fish and want him/her in my community?

This got me thinking. How do you all make this decision? Is it all about what the fish brings to the table (eating algae, sifting sand, etc) or is it personal preference or a bit of both?

I'm formulating my plan and taking my time. I want my fish to be as big of a part of my reef as the corals, so I'm going to be deliberate in what I add and when.

What is your plan for your community and how did you come up with it?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I base my choice on compatibility, aesthetics, price and personality.

so basically I find a fish in my budget that gets along with other fish I want that also looks pretty
Do you consider the "worker" element at all or ignore it? just curious

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little of both. I try to pick fish that swim in different "swim lanes", and there's definitely a work component for many of them, ie: algae, pest control, shepherd, enforcer, etc.
Thanks! I never really considered "swim lanes", but that makes all kinds of sense. I imagine that maximizes activity and someone elevates confrontation?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I never really considered "swim lanes", but that makes all kinds of sense. I imagine that maximizes activity and someone elevates confrontation?
Yes - some have their sand, others rocks, barnacles, caves, ledges, etc. Then there's lots of free swimming area for those that like to cruise around, hug the corals, swim near the surface, etc.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with a tang for algae, wrasse for pest control, anthias for color, my hawk that perched and others that swim at different levels of the tank and keep similar body shapes to min.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about looks/utilitarian, but if $50 and $100 fish eat same pest. But $100 fish looks better, il buy $100 fish

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get compatible fish, but most of all, get the fish you want and will truly enjoy...even if they don't fit perfectly within the recommendations.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - some have their sand, others rocks, barnacles, caves, ledges, etc. Then there's lots of free swimming area for those that like to cruise around, hug the corals, swim near the surface, etc.
I think that this is the best approach. I started out by buying what fish interested me, and then bought more tanks as I realized that I need to view each build as a three-dimensional aquatic apartment building: some fish are basement dwellers, some like to live in the middle, and a few, like dwarf filefish, enjoy swimming near the top of the tank. That's helped me to optimize my builds and avoid confrontation between different fish.

I've also learned that some fish are "utilitarian" in ways we don't often think. Dottybacks will help to control bristleworm populations. Dwarf angels pick at everything, and do their part at controlling lots of microbial growth. And my lone spotband butterflyfish took out my vast majano fields.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reality is that the majority of marine fish will end up serving some sort of utilitarian role, that being said there are for sure certain species that are utilized more than others for this purpose (tangs to control algae) is one example. In my honest opinion do your homework, get fish that interest you and are compatible with your system and just enjoy the journey. Stocking the display is one of the most fun parts of the hobby and thinking too hard about "is this fish gonna do something for the biome in my tank" can really take away from that. First and foremost this hobby is about having fun and searching for your own desirable aesthetic and functioning ecosystem.

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted some "schooling" fish and fish that provide utility. They also had to be small because I didn't want to upgrade until a couple of years into the future. Color did influence my choice but so did availability.
Utility
  • Bristle tooth tang for algae,
  • yellow coris wrasse for pest and color,
  • pink streak wrasse for pest and small size
  • Hector's goby to churn sand and small size

"schooling" - long spine cardinal fish

If I had a large tank (300 gallon) i'd probably add 2 or 3 yellow tanks to the mix, a pair of swallow tail angels, and a lot of small chromis. Ultimately went with peaceful fish so I wouldn't have to worry much about aggression.

jasonvan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i wish i could go back and re-choose my fish. i would of gone with harder to get fish rather than just filling the tank up. ex is my pair of clowns. im really want a nice longfin frostbite but its hard to get people to take my current clowns in my area.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you all choose which fish you want in your reef tank?

I'm about 2.5 months into my first reef tank. She's a 90-gallon that currently houses one pair of clowns (ocellaris and a gladiator). I'm following the BRS 5-minute guide and they suggest some "utilitarian fish" as the next group to join my tank. they mention Yellow Tang, bristletooth tang (i'm thinking yellow eye kole), coris wrasse, algae/lawnmower blenny, etc. Some of those I would like in my tank (blenny and Kole tank) and some I don't (not a fan of yellow tangs). Do I really NEED tangs in a 90-gallon? Does every fish need to "play a role" or can it just be that I like the fish and want him/her in my community?

This got me thinking. How do you all make this decision? Is it all about what the fish brings to the table (eating algae, sifting sand, etc) or is it personal preference or a bit of both?

I'm formulating my plan and taking my time. I want my fish to be as big of a part of my reef as the corals, so I'm going to be deliberate in what I add and when.

What is your plan for your community and how did you come up with it?

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Don’t pick a fish because it does a job, this is how we get fish we regret and really want to trade in. Instead pick a fish you like, it it does algae eating or something for the community then that’s just a side affect.

No, not all tanks need a tang. And honestly tangs are overrated - I just have a Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) and he chills in the tank. I didn’t get him for a job.
I also have many wrasses which I love and again, I chose them all on colours and personality.

None of my fish were bought because I needed a certain job filled, I got them because I love them for their personality, colours ect.
I also have a regal Angel on the table and the reason why is again, I love the colours and need a fish gap filled.
None of the fish in this FTS were brought to complete a job, they’re all chosen on beauty.
02220941-B7FD-4A44-A0E4-9E1AAB8C5CF4.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the reverse. I choose my tank and build my aquascape for the fish I intend to buy.
Some people buy the tank first then think about the fish they want later of course but for me that's the wrong way to go about it.
Polish_20221225_104450787.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get compatible fish, but most of all, get the fish you want and will truly enjoy...even if they don't fit perfectly within the recommendations.
Yes, compatibility is priority #1. But I think I needed to hear someone say "this is YOUR tank, so get what you want." If I don't want a yellow tang, then dangit, I don't have to get a yellow tang. Especially since they are like $300 now!!!

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that this is the best approach. I started out by buying what fish interested me, and then bought more tanks as I realized that I need to view each build as a three-dimensional aquatic apartment building: some fish are basement dwellers, some like to live in the middle, and a few, like dwarf filefish, enjoy swimming near the top of the tank. That's helped me to optimize my builds and avoid confrontation between different fish.

I've also learned that some fish are "utilitarian" in ways we don't often think. Dottybacks will help to control bristleworm populations. Dwarf angels pick at everything, and do their part at controlling lots of microbial growth. And my lone spotband butterflyfish took out my vast majano fields.
Thanks for the reply! it's helpful to think of the 3 levels of the tank!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are a lot of options that go into picking what fish to buy. Is their a theme you want your tank centered around? How about the compatibility of the fish with your tank? Do you need worker fish or fish that look pleasing? So many different factors that go into picking the fish that is right for your tank

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do the reverse. I choose my tank and build my aquascape for the fish I intend to buy.
Some people buy the tank first then think about the fish they want later of course but for me that's the wrong way to go about it.
Polish_20221225_104450787.jpg
You mean u don’t buy it and then ask about the husbandry? I can see how you’re doing it wrong. Lol. Great advice. Appropriate stock for a design.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back