How do you decide if you're getting a "good deal" on used reef equipment?

How do you decide how much to spend on used equipment?

• Not more than a certain percentage of the cost of a new one

Votes: 133 43.9%
  • Not more than a certain amount

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Look for the best deal currently available

Votes: 91 30.0%
  • It depends on what I can find in the couch cushions

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Other (Post in thread)

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's face it, reefing is expensive! But one of the ways many of us save money is buying used equipment from other hobbyists. I know I've saved lots of money by finding good deals on second hand equipment. Still, sometimes it can be tough to know when you've found a "good deal" when it comes to used equipment.

1) Do you have a standard approach when buying used equipment? Let's say that you need a skimmer and you decide to buy one that is used. How do you decide how much to spend?

2) Please tell us in the comments what percentage you use to determine a good deal, how you decide that certain amount, how big is your couch, or what other things that you would consider.

While you're at it, check out the Reef2Reef marketplace to see some great used equipment for sale!

Photo of used aquarium for sale by @LA Reef Addict.
1 - qotd - LA Reef Addict .jpeg

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost of new equipment - (used equipment, converted to CAD$, plus shipping to Canada, and expected cost of upgrades to deal with hidden equipment failures). Unless there's a good positive balance, forget it.

Buying used only ends up making good financial sense for tanks and lighting. Everything else -- and especially pumps and Vortech wetsides -- is at best a wash. I've bought four MP10s over the past year, and had to replace the wetsides for each of them after less than three months.

Shipping prices are another real (and definite) problem: I can get free shipping from a number of vendors, but have to ask private sellers, who can't get volume discounts, to ship smallish items to me at a cost of $50-75 CAD. That's a huge disadvantage when you're adding up the costs of buying used equipment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I open ad based on price followed by condition, then price shipped versus new unit and lastly who the seller is
One of the biggest many sellers face is the High cost of shipping
USPS minimum shipping is now $9.50. A year ago $7.15 and year prior $4.95
This hurts many potential sales. I can sell a used heater for $15 but with shipping, now $27

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I open ad based on price followed by condition, then price shipped versus new unit and lastly who the seller is
One of the biggest many sellers face is the High cost of shipping
USPS minimum shipping is now $9.50. A year ago $7.15 and year prior $4.95
This hurts many potential sales. I can sell a used heater for $15 but with shipping, now $27
Yep! Shipping can be killer! And with inflation it's gotten so much worse.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting hearing the shipping concerns - I never thought of that. Mostly because one of my big deciding factors is buying local. My tank, ato, and wavemaker are all used. I wanted to see them, inspect them, and test them before I bought. Some of this equipment is fragile, and even clear photos and video don't always show everything. So for me, I'll only buy used gear if it's local. Increased shipping cost only further cement that.

I determine what to buy based on condition. If something is well worn or purchased to serve as a backup, I generally shoot for 50% or less. But if something is "like new" or harder to come by, I'm OK with paying up to 75%. More than that, the warranty and peace of mind that comes with new is worth the added cost. Though I will say, my experience with most manufacturers, even on used/out of warranty stuff, are pretty good at providing at least some level of support.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Shipping can be killer! And with inflation it's gotten so much worse.
As a small business owner that sells online, you’re absolutely right about inflated shipping costs. Buying any new item through a company - like R2R - that hits their ‘free shipping’ threshhold means anyone competing on the used side needs to drop their prices even lower to compete, and that’s before factoring the other risks associated with buying used.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As a small business owner that sells online, you’re absolutely right about inflated shipping costs. Buying any new item through a company - like R2R - that hits their ‘free shipping’ threshhold means anyone competing on the used side needs to drop their prices even lower to compete, and that’s before factoring the other risks associated with buying used.
Speaking of inflated shipping, I’m also noticing USPS And FedEx less apt to pay damage claims even when insurance is added

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying used will never overtake new. BRS wouldn't exist if that was likely and mostly because new is nice and often with more choices and logistically easier in most cases. Plus with used one doesn't know when it will stop working or leak unless buying unused items or that which can be visually inspected as to condition and expectation.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal or not, I often look deeper in the reasons why the equipment is being let go, and the state/age of the tank it is coming from. Often someone getting out of the hobby after a year likely hasn't maintained things well. Someone with a pristine rockin' tank that is upgrading their gear is probably a better bet they've maintained their gear and it is worth buying used from them. I typically won't buy pumps of any kind used - too mission critical and too many unknowns. Lights are pretty safe, and some other more random gear.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely buy used. The only thing I consider are the tanks themselves, and reseal as required. Reefing equipment will all fail eventually, usually after a few years. I prefer to start the clock on 100%, instead of 50%. But if something were barely used, and a great deal, I may reconsider.

RNR Media Grp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some dry goods from someone who planned on setting up a tank and then doesn't.. You'll find that everything is up for sale at absolutely rock bottom prices... Like the line of stuff I have that's new and unused and now needs a good home to a fellow reefer.. If anyone is need of a desktop cube tank from SCA plus a bashsea sump , a UV, and sicce pump and some other goodies, you're more then welcome to reach out cause I have all those items up for sale :) due to a tank that I'm no longer setting up.

CRD23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preferences

1.) Equipment like lights are usually a good deal in in 'used ' category. A substantial discount over a new one, and limited loss of functionality.
2.) Electronic item are unpredictable. Their remaining life could just be a few months. Buy if you are trying it out, and are likely to upgrade if you like it.
3.) The equipment that get into the water, would usually come with salt precipitations, fish poops sticking to it. Plan for some efforts to clean before using. Avoid if you dont want to spend that effort.
4.) A buyer would have more leverage in less frequently used equipment, smaller brands. Go bargain hunting there.
5.) In general there is a lot of value in buying new, and getting benefits of return policies, warranty, customer support, free shipping etc.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will look at most gear used, with the exception of lights.

tanks can be inspected as the seams
Sumps are usually acrylic and can be inspected.

rock can be cooked

pumps can be rebuilt

lights on the other hand are a mixed bag, age hours, efficiency and led burnout are all factors which have to make it a deeply discounted scenario or included in a deal for me to consider
controllers I think I would leave alone too. Again deeply discounted or included in a deal.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other because I much prefer to buy new equipment for 2 main reasons:
1: I don't know how well the used equipment was maintained so buying new is better generally for peace of mind, plus that whole adage of "buy once; cry once".
2: Equipment and dry goods is where most LFS make their money and I like to think I'm helping them stay open.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my most recent tank and set up( skimmer, lights, pumps, wave makers, heaters, stand, grow light, rocks, plumbing) for 80% less than I would have spent, from a hobbyist getting out. I bought with knowledge that I would replace the 30 yr old skimmer and the lights. 2yrs later I have replaced wear and tear wave makers and upgraded lights and do what hobbyist do. UPGRADE! I am completely satisfied with buying used bc I bought thinking ahead. And I would buy used again. Meeting like-minded people starts good conversations and realationships. In person only though. Not online. New only online. Trust no one! Lol

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50-60 cents on the dollar max for anything used. Anymore than that, I'm buying new. I recently bought a apex WXM and with shipping, it was the closest thing I ever paid for close to full price (its discontinued). My thought is that were dealing with saltwater & electricity. It's not worth it to me to pay high prices for a out of warranty (or non transferrable warranty) item.

Calvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy anything used. All new, all the time when purchasing new gear. I want to crack open the box the first time myself and if somethings wrong with it I can get it dealt with.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I routinely buy used is coral food. It comes out of the vents of my fish.

For used equipment I look at the item and anticipated 1/2-life of a new item and the cost and presumptive age of the item for sale, and cost of replacement if its electronic when it fails. Generally if it's got moving parts I don't want to risk paying more than 25% of a new item. More than that and I'm generally more comfortable purchasing new so I don't have to wonder about the honesty or abuse given to an item by a previous owner.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a deal hunter I know this for sure, there are few things I buy new.
Things to buy new:
-Heaters- titanium only. ((There cheap)finnex)
-T5 bulbs (duh)
-Some apex gear (probes)
-Vortech wetsides

I try my best to buy lightly used or even nib items at a cheaper rate. Ive messed up and bought things I shouldn't have a couple times I'll admit it but overall I've saved big with very little equipment failures. When I finally put a build thread up I feel like I might list the prices I paid for everything just to show the savings. Obviously its hard to piece a whole setup together buying mostly used items but ive manged to do it a few times. Its not for everybody but its a good time and I think I've seen more setups than your average joe by doing so. People love to show off there tank especially if your buying something.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back