How do you decide if you're getting a "good deal" on used reef equipment?

How do you decide how much to spend on used equipment?

• Not more than a certain percentage of the cost of a new one

Votes: 133 43.9%
  • Not more than a certain amount

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Look for the best deal currently available

Votes: 91 30.0%
  • It depends on what I can find in the couch cushions

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Other (Post in thread)

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1) Do you have a standard approach when buying used equipment? Let's say that you need a skimmer and you decide to buy one that is used. How do you decide how much to spend?
I usually do not buy used equipment - unless there is clear documentation of how old it is - and whether it is working. I have had bad luck before.
2) Please tell us in the comments what percentage you use to determine a good deal, how you decide that certain amount, how big is your couch, or what other things that you would consider.
Most LFS pay a very small amount (if anything) for used equipment. It also depends on what the equipment is the age and condition. But in general I would say about 30 percent of retail. When I have sold things on Ebay - that's about the percentage I would ask for. Higher end items (for example used Radions) - have sold for a much higher percentage

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say a refractometer is $100 new, i would expect a used one in good condition to be no more than like $50-60, in poor condition $20. Unfortunately equipment, including the tanks, are like cars. As soon as you drive off the lot it looses value. Especially with things that can be finicky or need to be calibrated like a refractometer, human error can damage them easily so any amount of improper use could compromise it. For empty tanks, $1 per gallon is the most ill pay from bad experiences lol

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a general percentage/used cost vs new cost savings.

If and when I buy used, I don’t anticipate to spend more than 50% new value including shipping. However, that’s not to say I’ve looked at something that’s just a few months old and consider $100-$200 off the original purchase price a good deal

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess Im going to find out. Just purchased a GHL profilux 4 ultimate set and KH director with the dosing pump for $1100 dollars (so about half price). Figure I'll be replacing the tubing and buying the calibration solutions, and see how the probes are working. Crossing fingers!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
deals!

if i buy anything second hand price has to match the quality/condition. the more maintenance/upkeep/restoration, the less i expect to pay.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll usually hop on Ebay to see what auctions are ending at. If the price still seems too high, then I know to only purchase new. If buying into good brands, "new" can come with some perks like quality customer service, warranties and good advice for problems solving. This is equipment that I will run, til the bitter end and have to rely on for life support, so I don't just want to get the best deal. I want to buy into reliability. For that reason, I don't even bother looking at anything but used gear with the longest proven track record, or stuff that just doesn't break. Good example, a Lifereef skimmer.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OTHER ~ You've gotten a bad deal when the seller vanishes, and you need to follow PayPal protocol to get your money back!

Dodger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost of new equipment - (used equipment, converted to CAD$, plus shipping to Canada, and expected cost of upgrades to deal with hidden equipment failures). Unless there's a good positive balance, forget it.

Buying used only ends up making good financial sense for tanks and lighting. Everything else -- and especially pumps and Vortech wetsides -- is at best a wash. I've bought four MP10s over the past year, and had to replace the wetsides for each of them after less than three months.

Shipping prices are another real (and definite) problem: I can get free shipping from a number of vendors, but have to ask private sellers, who can't get volume discounts, to ship smallish items to me at a cost of $50-75 CAD. That's a huge disadvantage when you're adding up the costs of buying used equipment.
Yeah. Another Canuck!!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Everything I have was purchased used. Best deals have been buying someone’s entire set up- I also trade and barter on our local form.

I would prefer “used” corals and fish. I have gotten so so many great fish that were “used” some with issues- and had to go through treatment and qt- but I pay little and sometimes free to take on a sick fish.

Just Got this gem because he was being beaten up badly. I traded a 32 gal all in one for him. He’s currently on day 6 of a ten day MB treatment. I enjoy “saving” fish and corals, on on hand I feel prideful when I have treat and get a fish back to normal or save a dying coral- also feels good to get a deal- although the down side is sometimes you can’t save it and that sucks too. This guy seems healthy except for getting picked on badly. He was in a 240g FOWLR and had about 25 roommates that all seemed to hate him lol. But he should recover nicely.

70A2AD4E-8A76-49D4-952C-75E18B7590EE.jpeg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st, don't buy it if there isn't a need for it. Ok, yeah, I'm a bit of an equipment (or automation) junky... Can't tell you how many times I've broken this rule, but I strive not to. Tank is healthy, animals are happy, quit buying the latest greatest gizmo that you don't need.

That said, I rarely buy used. When I decide I want something, I generally want THIS specific model. Nearly impossible to find that sort of thing used. I do sell used (see above!). Sold a skimmer a week or so back. A year old, perfect condition, currently sells for $280. I sold mine for $100. 35% of new, sounds about right to me. After all, no box, no warranty, and if I'm selling something, I'd just as soon have it gone, quickly.

I see used gear priced at 70% or more of retail. Sorry, for that, I'll buy new, from a dealer where (A) I'm supporting a company I like, and (B) I've got the right to return it if it doesn't work out.

Used to just go to BRS and buy what I wanted. Still do, in many cases, but you gotta watch BRS on pricing. It's the little stuff that they'll stick you on. Couple of $30 PVC bits that can be purchased elsewhere for under ten bucks. Yeah, I like that BRS tries to help the hobby, I love their videos... I get that, but THREE TIMES RETAIL? As I said, watch 'em.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to search the R2R classifieds for comparables, but that became useless. Maybe it'll be helpful again now that the forum went back to the old system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My decisions will be based on item. . condition. . . location and priced compared to both new and typical used pricing

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I watch a local Forum where I'm from which most times is pick up only. It's crazy what people want for used equipment. Unless it's really a good deal I would rather buy new.

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much try only to pay 50 percent of what new one costs and definitely not more then 60% off. Cause half the time you can also just wait around for a holiday to come around and get a good deal on something new.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: I never buy used equipment. Can't trust its longevity and reliability or seller. Don't want to take the risk of losing equipment. Only new in sealed box with warranty for me.

Last edited:

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: I never buy used equipment. Can't trust its longevity and reliability. Don't want to take the risk of losing livestock. Only new in sealed box with warranty for me.
Not many things used will cause you to lose livestock. And even new stuff can break quickly if it’s made faulty.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many things used will cause you to lose livestock. And even new stuff can break quickly if it’s made faulty.
What I was trying to say is you don't know what the used equipment went through and what the seller is keeping a secret. 50% of the time you're buying someone else's problem. If the new stuff breaks at least it has a warranty and can get it fixed at no extra cost but I never had to use a warranty so far. I'm speaking from experience. Ive baught used stuff in the past only to be disappointed. So I always say if you buy used your buying twice. If you buy new your buying once.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back