How do you decide if you're getting a "good deal" on used reef equipment?

How do you decide how much to spend on used equipment?

• Not more than a certain percentage of the cost of a new one

Votes: 133 43.9%
  • Not more than a certain amount

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Look for the best deal currently available

Votes: 91 30.0%
  • It depends on what I can find in the couch cushions

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Other (Post in thread)

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was trying to say is you don't know what the used equipment went through and what the seller is keeping a secret. 50% of the time you're buying someone else's problem. If the new stuff breaks at least it has a warranty and can get it fixed at no extra cost but I never had to use a warranty so far. I'm speaking from experience. Ive baught used stuff in the past only to be disappointed. So I always say if you buy used your buying twice. If you buy new your buying once.
The bold is definitely true and that's a part of the reason why many reefers just prefer to pay full price for a new product and the warranty that comes with it.

But I'm not sure how you arrive at the "50% of the time you're just buying someone else's problem" figure. That definitely hasn't been my experience. I've had pretty good success with used products by doing the following:
  • Only buying stuff I can pick up in-person so I can check it out first.
  • Trying to stick to the "for sale" section of the local reefing club and buying from reputable members rather than Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.
  • Buying used products manufactured by reliable, quality brands rather than cheap junk*
  • Having backups of most essential equipment in case anything fails - a good approach even if you're only buying new stuff.
Sticking to the above, I've never had a major issue with used equipment in 20 years of reefing and I've used a lot of used equipment. If you're a smart shopper and you have some backup components just in case, there's no reason you can't do very well with used products.

*Quality brands tend to stand by their products even after the warranty period has ended. I've had several send me free or very cheap replacement parts long after the warranty had expired. And most of the time, the issues were my fault rather than a faulty product (breaking a return hose while cleaning my AIO, accidentally submerging several electronics that weren't designed to get wet, dropping a light, etc.).

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I rarely buy used with higher end items unless it is as a backup now. Learn my lesson hard.
I regret most of the used items (skimmers, light, etc.) I bought because they always end up breaking after a while and with no warrantee, it cost more time and effort to replace parts or have to get new ones anyways.
Example, I bought a used deltec skimmer. So far, I have spent about $300-400 just trying to fix pump problems, getting parts in metrics, etc. It's still sitting there not working .... and I bought it less than a year ago.

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was trying to say is you don't know what the used equipment went through and what the seller is keeping a secret. 50% of the time you're buying someone else's problem. If the new stuff breaks at least it has a warranty and can get it fixed at no extra cost but I never had to use a warranty so far. I'm speaking from experience. Ive baught used stuff in the past only to be disappointed. So I always say if you buy used your buying twice. If you buy new your buying once.
Never know the used may out live the new at times and sometimes you can get used at a third of the price. But most likely when you buy twice it’s still gonna outlive buying once. And most warranties aren’t more than a year and have a lot of limitations.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bold is definitely true and that's a part of the reason why many reefers just prefer to pay full price for a new product and the warranty that comes with it.

But I'm not sure how you arrive at the "50% of the time you're just buying someone else's problem" figure. That definitely hasn't been my experience. I've had pretty good success with used products by doing the following:
  • Only buying stuff I can pick up in-person so I can check it out first.
  • Trying to stick to the "for sale" section of the local reefing club and buying from reputable members rather than Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.
  • Buying used products manufactured by reliable, quality brands rather than cheap junk*
  • Having backups of most essential equipment in case anything fails - a good approach even if you're only buying new stuff.
Sticking to the above, I've never had a major issue with used equipment in 20 years of reefing and I've used a lot of used equipment. If you're a smart shopper and you have some backup components just in case, there's no reason you can't do very well with used products.

*Quality brands tend to stand by their products even after the warranty period has ended. I've had several send me free or very cheap replacement parts long after the warranty had expired. And most of the time, the issues were my fault rather than a faulty product (breaking a return hose while cleaning my AIO, accidentally submerging several electronics that weren't designed to get wet, dropping a light, etc.).
If you have 20 years of experience and a well established reef why do you buy used? If you needed a new return pump would you buy a used return pump for one hundred dollars less than retail for a 20 year reef tank with mother colonies you've grown for years and a 12" Blond Naso with beautiful streamers that you had forever? Husbandry is all about stability including avoiding equipment breakdowns..........and power outages.

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 20 years of experience and a well established reef why do you buy used? If you needed a new return pump would you buy a used return pump for one hundred dollars less than retail for a 20 year reef tank with mother colonies you've grown for years and a 12" Blond Naso with beautiful streamers that you had forever? Husbandry is all about stability including avoiding equipment breakdowns..........and power outages.
Buying certain things used is so much better then buying new. Got ato reservoir, 2 gen 4 xr 15s with mounts, diffusers, reef link, eheim heater, reef octopus 110 skimmer, 2 qd mp10s, all for 670. If I bought new that would have been over 2300 dollars. And the second you use it all can’t get more then 60% of your money back if you sell. I can sell all my used equipment I just bought for either the same amount or more.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 years of experience, not a 20 year old reef. I've taken several breaks from the hobby. But to answer your question, I don't always buy used. But I have no issue picking up a used wavemaker if I decide I want to increase flow or add a new flow direction, picking up a used light if I want to increase PAR in a spot my existing lights aren't reaching, etc.

And that's my point, it's up to the reefer to assess risk. You seem to be under the impression that used components are all doomed to fail in short order. That hasn't been my experience, and there are plenty of scenarios (like the above) where I'd have no issue picking up a used MP-40QD off of a longtime reefer in the local reefing club for ~1/2 of retail to improve the flow a bit. I don't worry too much about it breaking down and IF it does, it's not going to cause my tank to crash. But in the situation you describe - I'd absolutely pay retail for the return pump and the warranty. I'd still gladly keep a used return (or two) as a backup in case my shiny new pump fails and I need to wait a week for the warranty replacement.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Items that, if they fail, would take out my living room floor? I'm unlikely to go used for those. Tanks, sumps, external equipment containing tank water... I want that warranty, even though it's unlikely to cover collateral damage. Cost is simply too high if it fails... and I've seen far too many tank failures over my decades in the hobby. Tank that's been sitting empty in a garage for an unknown number of years? Hard Pass. I'd put plumbing, valves, PVC parts, etc. into the same category. Failure cost is high, parts are cheap. Get it new. Or, I suppose, nearly new. Got some new reefer, just spent a ton on new gear, exiting the hobby after a few months of fighting new tank uglies? Yup. Buy the entire system... save a bundle.

Electronics, pumps, new fancy lights, heaters... just about anything that plugs into the wall... All that stuff has a fairly short lifespan. Pay half for used gear that's likely not going to last long, and even more likely, missing features that the new gear has. Eh. No thanks.

Classic gear... a good skimmer from a couple of years ago is likely still being sold today. In good condition, it's well worth saving the bucks. Want a classic T5 fixture? You'd be nuts to buy new. Tons of used ones around, with a bit of polish, new bulbs... worst case you'll need to replace a ballast... Still cheaper than buying new. Toss reactors, Kalk stirrers, fresh water reservoirs... all that stuff into the same category. If you can find it used, great. RO/DI systems, same thing. Clean 'em up, replace the filters, just like new.

Rock? A few weeks in the sun, a good power wash... what, you think that rock is 'new'?? With few exceptions, the rock we use is old, dead reef that's been pulled out of a quarry. Underground for centuries. Ok, yeah, there's engineered rock... but even that's made from mined materials. No such thing as 'new' rock. Same with sand. As long as it's not been exposed to copper, or some other hard to remove contaminate (trust your source?). Wash, rinse, reuse.

Shipping? Whatever value there was in used gear is likely blown by having to ship. Very rarely worth the cost.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought almost all my equipment for my 120g lightly used.

The oldest component was the tank itself at 5 years old, which I'm considering replacing when I move into a house in the coming years.

I got the following for about half of retail price from buying used:

3 MP40s
2 xr30s gen 5
Vectra s2 return

Easily saved hundreds of dollars here. Everything is in great condition. So many people getting out of the hobby, buying used is a no brainer to me.

All of these came with the tank:
T5 fixture
Sump
Misc powerheads
Heaters
ATO
Skimmer
Tons of misc supplies

I would not have been able to afford to set this tank up with all new equipment. Or maybe I could have, but it would have been empty for ages afterwards.

Key to finding a good deal is patience and vetting the person selling to you and why.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back