How do you eliminate the vortex inside a overflow box?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get a pipe tee the same size as the bulkhead and drop in in loose with a hole on the top and one on the side over the open hole. This prevents a vortex from forming. It simply prevents the flow from becoming organized enough.

It doesn't really matter how it sits. It's acting as a baffle to keep the water mixed up.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the airline for muffling sound or acting as a secondary overflow? Lol, I might be misinformed. Will need to cut it below the top of the box if it is for emergency purposes, but I just thought it was to keep the noise level down
No, the hole in the top of the pipe is there to close the air bleed and create a full siphon if the water level runs that high. The airline also isn't necessary. I leave mine completely open because in the event of a backup which the overflow water level breaches the top of the pipe, I want that full, siphon created immediately to drop it. This is a feature to help it from overflowing in case something goes bad.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh...thanks for the clarification. In that case, a bulkhead strainer may help with the vortex on the main drain.
This should definitely help. It will create somewhat of a flow restriction. So be prepared to readjust your gate valve after you install it.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for Maggie Muffler, they come in different pipe sizes. On Ebay / Amazon you can find them. the mini is about $12.95 and works for 1" pipe. I do have one on my first emergency drain that usually get some water after starting the pumps and this helps a lot with the noise.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do a search for Maggie Muffler, they come in different pipe sizes. On Ebay / Amazon you can find them. the mini is about $12.95 and works for 1" pipe. I do have one on my first emergency drain that usually get some water after starting the pumps and this helps a lot with the noise.
that just looks like a stockman standpipe - it'll work and the price is good - do it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back