How do you feed frozen to your nano?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed about 1/3 of a cube last night to my tank and it was WAAAAAYYYYYY too much. I mean, I'm sure my clean up crew was thrilled, but still. How do you feed frozen? I don't want to waste a big cube, but I want to feed frozen once or twice a week.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I think I need a micro-zester for this! It'll be easier once the tank is fully stocked, but boy, did my two fish LOVE it last night.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I just had a few fish I'd generally take a razor blade and shave off fine sheets and let it defrost in a cup of tank water and then filter out all the water with a brine net. I'd add the 'solids' back to the cup and dose a little bit of Brightwell Vitamarin-M and Vitamarin-C and then pipette it to the fish and coral. Now I have the problem where I'm defrosting multiple cubes of different proteins and going through that faster than anything as my LPS eat most of it and the fish eat whatever is in the water column.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I just had a few fish I'd generally take a razor blade and shave off fine sheets and let it defrost in a cup of tank water and then filter out all the water with a brine net. I'd add the 'solids' back to the cup and dose a little bit of Brightwell Vitamarin-M and Vitamarin-C and then pipette it to the fish and coral. Now I have the problem where I'm defrosting multiple cubes of different proteins and going through that faster than anything as my LPS eat most of it and the fish eat whatever is in the water column.
The one I bought specifically said do not defrost, so bonus there LOL.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a serrated knife and shave my frozen cubes. I don't thaw prior to feeding.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a video on Larrys food and he recommends preparing portions in these containers:
1568733670655.png

It's called "deli container with lid" on amazon

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I don't use the blended foods, but Reef Nutrition makes solid stuff. It's interesting to hear who defrosts and who doesn't. I defrost as I want to get rid of all the liquids that are in the cube as to not add more pollutants to the tank. Also, I've always been concerned about a fish or coral snagging a frozen piece and eating it and getting sick from the drastic internal temperature change.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks I feed. I thaw a chunk of LRS in a cup of tank water, suck up a little bit with a 1ml syringe and feed my royal gramma and flame tail blenny, then the rest gets dumped in the big tank. You could do the same, except just refrigerate the rest. Should be good for a few days so only thaw what you'll use up in that time.

If just feeding the nano, I'll cut a small piece off with a knife and thaw it, then feed.

Last edited:

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of s sorta win win solution when it comes to feeding a nano... Have more than one! Stock them appropriately enough to use one whole cube per feeding and keep up with your water changes ;)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of s sorta win win solution when it comes to feeding a nano... Have more than one! Stock them appropriately enough to use one whole cube per feeding and keep up with your water changes ;)
Nano Reefs EVERYWHERE!

You get a nano! You get a nano! You get a nano!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS Fish Frenzy. I cut up the sheet into .5cm cubes. I’ll drop one in my 16 gallon and based on how long it take my clowns to eat, I may or may not drop a second. I do not defrost the cube before placing it in the tank.

Last edited:
Back