How do you feed your tangs?! Nori'Ed up for another 200 days

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use Asian market nori to feed my tangs. The first thing I do is to cut the sheets into quarters using an old wooden cutting board, a utility knife, and a straight edge.

IMG_2355.jpg

I'll typically cut 5 - 10 sheets at a time and package these quarter cut pieces into sandwich bags.

IMG_2357.jpg

When I'm ready to feed, I'll take 1, 2 or 3 of these pieces and first fold them in half and cut at the fold.

IMG_2361.jpg

I will fold in half again, and cut that fold:

IMG_2363.jpg

This now gets put into the algae clip and now cut into small strips:

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

I originally was putting the folded algae in the clip, and the tangs would rip the large piece out that would then just float around the tank. These small strips are just the right size for the tang to rip it off the clip and suck it in like a piece of spaghetti.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the sushi algae rolls. Much cheaper and all my fish looooove them. I actually take half a sheet, fold in thirds and rubberband to rock, throw in tank. I will use a clip sometimes too. Fish seem to like the rock idea best. :)

My puffer, rabbitfish, tangs, engineer goby and others love the treat.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too use Asian market nori to feed my tangs. The first thing I do is to cut the sheets into quarters using an old wooden cutting board, a utility knife, and a straight edge.

IMG_2355.jpg

I'll typically cut 5 - 10 sheets at a time and package these quarter cut pieces into sandwich bags.

IMG_2357.jpg

When I'm ready to feed, I'll take 1, 2 or 3 of these pieces and first fold them in half and cut at the fold.

IMG_2361.jpg

I will fold in half again, and cut that fold:

IMG_2363.jpg

This now gets put into the algae clip and now cut into small strips:

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

I originally was putting the folded algae in the clip, and the tangs would rip the large piece out that would then just float around the tank. These small strips are just the right size for the tang to rip it off the clip and suck it in like a piece of spaghetti.

Very detailed!

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the sushi algae rolls. Much cheaper and all my fish looooove them. I actually take half a sheet, fold in thirds and rubberband to rock, throw in tank. I will use a clip sometimes too. Fish seem to like the rock idea best. :)

My puffer, rabbitfish, tangs, engineer goby and others love the treat.

I do the same thing, they like the rock better.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sheet of nori per day (or however much they need to be able to graze for at least half to three quarters of the day) as well. I use Asian green nori and buy red in bulk on amazon (ocean nutrition) as my tangs seem to go wild, and new additions seem to find it irresistible.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using two little fishies green nori sheets. I fold it over in half, then in half again length wise so it's as wide as the veggie clip, and then fold that so it's only half as long. Then I clip it to the tank and let them munch on it.

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a full sheet of green and purple together rolled into 1 put on clip. They line up for it every night.

GillsGoneWild

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Life Spectrum pellets. 5 different types of algae/seaweed in them and no chunks of nori hanging up in the weir of my overflow. Plus I don't get "clownfish kisses" when I attach and retrieve the veggie clip!

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish don't seem to like the nori on the glass. So I anchor the clip with a piece of rock so it'd sink to the bottom. I also use the nori from the Asian Market.. my fish like them much better than the ones sold at the fish store.

I take about about 3" square and fold it over a few times

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I habe my algea clip glued onto a small magnefloat, makes for an easy way to retrieve it and not have to shove my arm in the tank. My current tang doesn't touch the nori :/ so i feed frozen mix but my old tangs did before ich took over once...

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a whole bunch of the sushi stuff off of Amazon and I couldn't get any of my fish to take to it. I'm going to try again but this time buy a much smaller amount locally.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dev how is the grazer? Any downsides? Thinking about buying some type of grazer like this for my fish.
I wish it was black instead of blue so it blended into the back wall!!! Aside from that it's great! Once in a while it pops open but overall it holds it in well and keeps the nori from making a mess in the tank

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TLF magnet holder with plastic netting. I take a full sheet of sushi nori and hand cut into 4 strips, feed one strip every two days, keeps my yellow tang and baby blue Hippo happy :D. Also noticed my clowns and wrasse eat it too, love this stuff.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back