How do you get rid of dry spots on Acrylic?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm cleaning out an old 50g Acrylic that I'm going to use, I used 800 and 1500 Wetdry sand paper (Home Depot didn't have any 1000 or 2000) since there were a ton of scratches and polished it off with Novus 1, 2 , and 3. It worked out really well, about 95% of the scratches are gone, but now I have these wipe marks which I believe might be from water I test filled the tank with, does anyone know how to get rid of them?
20200922_191611[1].jpg
20200922_191621[1].jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need to go to a higher grit sandpaper.

Maybe they aren't so bad though, are they even noticeable when wet?

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can find finer grit paper at auto body/ auto paint supply shops...some Oreilly auto part stores have paint departments in them too...or you could buy one of the 3M kits for polishing faded auto headlights...comes with a foam buffing wheel for a drill and a variety of grit pads and a little polishing compound...idk if you're using the novus by hand that would be pretty hard to do....it probably looked clear when you were done cause the novus stuff was wet...once you filled it with water you washed off the film of novus and exposed the scratches

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I ordered some 1,000 / 2,000 / 2,500 sand paper and actually did the polishing routine correctly this time, and its about 95% scratch and smudge free! Theres still some scratches on the bottom, but those will be covered with sand. And the smudges are basically non-existent when the tank is filled.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polishing compound would finish it, but as you said may be invisible underwater.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I ordered some 1,000 / 2,000 / 2,500 sand paper and actually did the polishing routine correctly this time, and its about 95% scratch and smudge free! Theres still some scratches on the bottom, but those will be covered with sand. And the smudges are basically non-existent when the tank is filled.

I've always had a very hard time polishing anything near the edges or border, so its a win in my book.

From experience, even if its not visible in a clean state, a roughened texture of acrylic can be a great surface for GHA or other nuisance algaes to cling to.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back