How do you get to the bottom of your 30" deep tanks?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering either 180 or 220. Both are 6' long and 2' deep. The 220 is 6" taller @ 30". I've never had a tank deeper than 24" which I could get to the bottom of using just arm (I'm 5' 11" so just reach). How do folks place corals etc on the deeper tanks? I like the idea of a taller water column for both coral and fish, but worry about maintenance/ practicality.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a corner bow that is 30" deep.... and in acrylic. It is a PIA to maintain. In fact....I wish I had asked as you are doing before I bought it. It was a beautiful tank initially.... but keeping the viewing area clean and free of algae is almost impossible. I have since bought a 180 glass. I was also looking at the 220... I decided the 180 was deep enough.

I am about 6' tall. If I have a problem reaching in.... to place a coral that is a problem. Then add a canopy... limited access around and under lights.... yeah... the 180 for me was the way to go.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 24” tank and I’m 6’4. I can reach the bottom but find that the water running down my arm makes a huge mess. I generally pull out a step to work around the tank. I’m really considering one of those painting platforms

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep imagining using some kind of extension grabbers/ pincers or something. Sounds like everyone is using their hands and reaching.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way is to have good access from above with a step ladder or a walking platform with lots of vertical open space above the tank. It is not easy to reach even then depending on your rock structure. My deep tank is 36" tall and I cannot reach the bottom which is why it is a bare bottom display. I still maximized access above the tank though and it can accessed from all sides. Its best to plan for the best possible access you can for a taller tank so that you can get your maximum reach without being put into an uncomfortable position or blocked by immovable structures.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g 30” tall and like mentioned above the 30” tall tanks are a PITA to maintain but they look beautiful. I use magnet cleaners for the glass and 20” long tongs and grabbers to move things around. When I’m gluing frags I get on a 4’ ladder and use 12” tings to place the frags lower in the tank.

If you’re up for a little challenge, then a 30” tall tank can be very rewarding.

Centurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I didn't buy a 30" deep tank. Just to difficult to work on. At first using a ladder and tongs sounds easy enough, but as most of us kn ow that over time if there are "barriers" making things more difficult we tend to put things off.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is lights suspended from the beams overhead, no canopy so nothing in the way on top, but access will only be from the front., very limited side and rear access. There's about 10" on either side for a 6' tank. Contemplating bare bottom (WWC style with encrusting corals/zoas etc).
IMG_6923 by Peter Young, on Flickr

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a tall guy only 5-8 and my tank is 32” deep and on a 30” stand so it’s a step ladder and soaking wet armpits for me when reaching corals at the very bottom. But I can handle getting wet because I have the entire tank at eye view for me and it’s amazing. I love deep tanks!

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep imagining using some kind of extension grabbers/ pincers or something. Sounds like everyone is using their hands and reaching.

Yeah, I just have some of those... One set I hot from an LFS, one from Amazon. $15-$20 maybe.

They work well once you get used to them.

I'm 6ft, but have a 6" canopy on a 26" tank.

If I'm placing something on the bottom (or picking something up) I use a step stool as well.

Actually what is more difficult is placing things on the rocks, but that's because of the angle with the canopy...

I like the deeper tank and am happy with the decision.

Cheers, Tony

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 6 foot tall and find I need to use a step ladder, but I also have a tall stand. Bare bottom but it is still a pia trying to reach things at the back of the tank even with tongs. plan on placing towels around and using lots of them to clean up water spills.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 30" tanknand yes, sometimes i am reaching to my armpits. However, i look at the brighter side of more depth is more range in light and flow. I can keep a wide variety of coral and the fish have a ton of space to swim in. Win, win, win in my book and i wouldnt change a thing.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the few times I reach into the tank, getting a stool and getting wet armpits is worth it. Once placing a coral, it is usually never moved and a depth greater than 24" allows for more growth and larger colonies. Magnet cleaners take care of the glass, long gravel cleaners can reach the bottom, and I otherwise rarely need to get wet.

I am planning on setting up a 42" deep LPS or FOWLR in the near future...and may regret it...but I just can't see how the occasional minutes of inconveniences would outweigh the permanent 24hr viewing of an awesome taller tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 6' 220, I can usually reach anything in the front half of the tank, even though it's on the sand. If it's further back, or behind something, I'll use my "Pick-Stick", a blue plastic tongs about two feet long. By standing on a chair in front of the tank, I can extend the reach of my arm, as well.

Have I ever gotten the sleeve of my tee-shirt wet? Yep. For reasons of flow and fish, though, I really enjoy the extra height.

~Bruce

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm short, 5'3". I HAD a 120g, eurobraced, on a 36 in tall stand with a canopy.
I loved the viewing height and the tank in general but, with a step ladder, I could barely reach the bottom in the front of the tank, couldn't reach the back.
Hurt my back and could no longer maintain the tank because of the height of the stand and depth of the tank.
Downsized to a reefer 250 and maintenance is no problem now. If I upgrade, tank will be 21" or less for height.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
43” deep. Love it. I’m 6’1” and yes it can be challenging. I plan when I’m going to add stuff low and do a large 200+g WC so there are a few extra inches for me to deal with.
I love having the fish go from intertwining rock work to water column as they want. My next build will be probably 96, 120,144 x 48 x48. Just depends on the wall length I’ll have in my house hopefully in next 6 months

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depth at 36 isn’t so bad with grabbers and ladder but the width is what can get you into difficulty... IMO i went with 36 by 36 and the depth isn’t difficult at all in the access points but anything along the front and around or under rocks gets more tricky to pickup/place... anyday this week or next i’ll be getting in the tank to glue down all of my corals cuz i’m Tired of them getting knocked off

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3B0B1F1E-4BFC-4DA2-AEED-B7DF307640CE.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back