how do you guys prepare for a power outage: Saltwater Aquarium Prepared

ccajigas07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you guys prepare for a power outage? we are in hurricane season and im worried about having a power outage what should i do if lets say my power is out for a week or even a day? what should i have?

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time I did not prepare because my area NEVER loses power. In the 15 years that I have been here, the power flashed out 2 times for seconds.... but then, a storm came through two years ago.......I lost all power and it wasn't coming back on... I had at least 8 tanks of baby seahorses set up along with my DTs.... 2 hours into the outage, I went to home depot and bought a gas powered generator and got everything going. It was the best purchase that I have made in a long time. I haven't used it since but it gives you a real sense of calm when you see storms approaching :) It is a good investment for you to make....

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery Backup for short term outages (2 hrs maybe) and only put equipment that is absolutely necessary on it.
Generator for longer outages. Again only put equipment that is absolutely necessary on it.

You can use the generator to recharge the battery in the battery backup so if you are courteous to your neighbors and turn you generator off at night you can hopefully get through the night on the battery backup. At night you may be able to get away with some power heads in the tank for water movement. No need for lights at night and maybe only run your return pump during the day.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a $10,000 automatic power generator like I did :)

Is that labor included? I am thinking about a 20kwatt power generator for the whole house but I heard the installation can be expansive.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term I have a couple battery air pumps and one that plugs in the wall and comes on automatically on batteries when it senses a power outage.
Long term I have a 4000w generator gassed up with Sta Bil in the gas and ready to go. I keep extension cords and outlet strips wired to the frame so I don't have to waste time looking for them when they are needed in a hurry. The bad thing is the generator is portable and not auto transfer so I have to be around somewhere to plug it in, if I'm away it does little good unless I can call a neighbor of family member to do it for me.

I have used it a couple times and it has paid for itself just in peace of mind!

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery air pumps
I have a Toyota Tacoma that has a 120 volt plug in the bed, The gas tank is currently filled and basically Ill run a cord from the bed of the truck to my return pump, remote start the truck , let it run for 30 min then repeat every couple of hours. If I find out its gonna be longer then a day, I go to my cousins house and get his generator and run everything including TV, fans, tank and dvd player ( to keep son happy)

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 16kw whole house generator cost only about $6,500 installed but that was 6-7 yrs ago. It's cheaper if you have natural gas running into your house already otherwise you have to go with LP and they have to dig a huge hole in your yard and drop a tank in.

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little off topic BUT I was thinking about rigging a solar panel for my tanks. Has anyone else done this?

Stephanie ( newbie)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Planedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to use a solar panel to charge a battery and the battery hooked up to an inverter to run the tank.

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back