How do you handle corals that grow faster than others?....It's not a race

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So my tanks been up now for a year and a half, definitely with it's ups and downs.

How do you all handle corals that rapidly grow before the rest of the guys catch up?

It's my first tank and I went with the "mixed reef" approach just to get my feet wet.

Time for a bigger tank? :)

I'm not really into fragging but I will prune if that's how it's generally handled.

Any thoughts? suggestions? I always appreciate the feedback from the community.

Photo of my Palys "winning" the race. . . It's about the size of a softball now. (FYI: There's a small Berghia nudibranch family living inside there dealing with the tank aiptasias, fun seeing them come out at night to hunt)

Cheers all,
J.

20210116_095905.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either frag them or just prune them to keep them under control, or as some do let nature take its course.

Ive started pruning mine and taking frags for other parts of the tank to try and keep them in check so nothing starts to take over

I do hate to throw them away, when you think how much they cost to buy, but you could also take them to an LFS and get credits if you can be bothered to do it. Whenever I ask our locals LFS they aren’t interested I think to many people are doing it

OP
OP
ScoobyJ

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either frag them or just prune them to keep them under control, or as some do let nature take its course.

Ive started pruning mine and taking frags for other parts of the tank to try and keep them in check so nothing starts to take over

I do hate to throw them away, when you think how much they cost to buy, but you could also take them to an LFS and get credits if you can be bothered to do it. Whenever I ask our locals LFS they aren’t interested I think to many people are doing it

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Cheers!

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I’m in same boat as you and looks like same palys. They are fast growers. I did frag a few and sell but in the end I may have to throw some out since I have so many. I hate throwing anything out even GSP

Attachments

• 1CCB4519-9632-459F-8629-6EC43F54E625.jpeg
    1CCB4519-9632-459F-8629-6EC43F54E625.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 23
Back