How do you handle evaporation top offs? Automatic is the way to go!

Dave Krienke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 large saltwater tanks in my house and I have plumbed my house to take water directly from my RO/DI system in the basement and by use of float valves in the sump allow the tanks to constantly be topped off directly from the RO/DI system. I have been successfully doing this for probably about 10 years. Over that time have I had incidents where the float valve got stuck. Yes, but only twice. Once while I was on vacation and my mother was here. I won't go into the fun details. Needless to say I have now trained my family about the shutoff valves I have right before every float valve. So any ATO float valve can be disabled by just closing the shutoff valves. :) Seems to work for me and is relatively inexpensive to do.

neverenough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eshopps reservoir and float for gravity top off on one tank. Other tank uses a Tom's aqualifter and a float switch connected to a Reef Keeper Lite

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously i was using a flot valve for the water above the sump water line and an a Aqualifter controlled by a float switch controlled via the apex for the second half of the container (interesting setup!)--Old video method---

Now i swapped it out for the Neptune ATK which i'm currently beta testing

Last edited:

timfountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RODI system plumed directly into the ATO. ATO drives a 1/4" wet solenoid. I also have another high-high float switch that drives a completely independent solenoid that turns off if the water level gets too high in the sump. I never need to mess with top-off tanks etc. I get through about 3 gallons per day of evap so this is a lifesaver. I have a completely separate RODI for a 27G water-change mix-up tank. I found that having one RODI driving both led to the ATO complaining that there was no FW when the water-change tank was being filled-up.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RODI system plumed directly into the ATO. ATO drives a 1/4" wet solenoid. I also have another high-high float switch that drives a completely independent solenoid that turns off if the water level gets too high in the sump. I never need to mess with top-off tanks etc. I get through about 3 gallons per day of evap so this is a lifesaver. I have a completely separate RODI for a 27G water-change mix-up tank. I found that having one RODI driving both led to the ATO complaining that there was no FW when the water-change tank was being filled-up.

What type of solenoids do you use? I appreciate that you have a backup one as pluming it directly can be risky!

Nobody goes Tunze Osmo?

I used to use the nano one :)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my sump installed today, I will wait for Neptune Apex's ATO I saw it at the Atlanta reef club shop come with a bove 2 optical sensors and a float switch and a bracket for the sensors. He would not let me buy his lol

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super simple gravity fed system. 14 gallon drum connected to a float valve in the return chamber of the sump!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon acrylic reservoir, Aqulifter pump, two float switches and a ReefGeek Level controller (with high & low level switches). Has worked flawlessly for 11 years. I have replaced a couple of Aqualifters, but they are inexpensive. I will be doing something different on my new tank, probably the Apex ATO.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Archon with a DP1 ( DA's dosing pump) for ATO. I also use the Archon to refill the DI storage tank when it gets low. I did mine before Avast came out with the barrel tender. So I use float switches on the DI storage tank along with a float valve to back up the full float switch. It has been running for 1 1/2 years now.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody goes Tunze Osmo?

I've got a Tunze Osmolator on the 75 tank and Osmolator Nanos on a couple of smaller tanks. They've been great for me. I took care of them all manually for a long time before I added the ATO to the 75. It wasn't long after I had the first ATO that I coughed up the funds to put them on every tank.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just snagged up a JBJ ato in the past month or two. It's been reliable and done what I needed for my system thus far. Definite plans to upgrade, but living in an apartment I'm limited to my space.
Was manual for a year and eight months. Didn't realize what a chore it was until I didn't have to do it anymore. Been shopping dosers recently as well to see what will work for me.

rickyb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My evaporation top off system consists of a 35 gallon container and a float valve in the sump.
RODI unit fills the container when on.
Simple, easy and efficient IMO

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 40 gallon tall glass tank under the stand for holding RO/DI with Tunze ATO. RO is plumbed direct to 40 gallon tank with float valve and solenoid valve. 40 gallons is about 2 weeks worth.

ricky5415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tunze ato with a 40B tank rodi water., hook it up to an apex and have a webcam right there to monitor the level. This work much better for me for the past few years. Last me over 10days easily when Iam not at home or on vacation

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev, so your ato reservoir is hooked up to your rodi and topped off automatically, then it feeds your return section using an ato? Is that correct?

You are correct.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody goes Tunze Osmo?

I have for years an love it but my run was too long from my freshwater tank to my sump so I looked for something different.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back