How do you know if you have Monti eating Nudibranch?

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I've been keeping my SPS corals in a 15 gallon Fluval Flex for about 6 months at this point. My corals have been doing great up until recently I've had troubles keeping Montipora. Every Monti I have put in the tank has lasted for a few weeks, sometimes months, and eventually bleaches and dies. My Acros have been doing great but my montis for some reason die.

My latest death is a Green Snow Cap Montipora and I'm wondering if I might have Monti eating Nudist. There is a small black hole on the coral that looks like something burrowed into it. Shortly after noticing it the coral bleached. What should I be looking for to tell if I have some kind of pest? So far I've lost 3 montis in this tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although small,,, you will see it on the skeletal area mainly and even presence of eggs

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find the critters in a coral dip or on the underside of the monti.

The eggs are whats hard to be rid of.
Dip. Dip. Dip. Faithfully. Hopefully the coral wont stress to death from the dips.
D

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I've been keeping my SPS corals in a 15 gallon Fluval Flex for about 6 months at this point. My corals have been doing great up until recently I've had troubles keeping Montipora. Every Monti I have put in the tank has lasted for a few weeks, sometimes months, and eventually bleaches and dies. My Acros have been doing great but my montis for some reason die.

My latest death is a Green Snow Cap Montipora and I'm wondering if I might have Monti eating Nudist. There is a small black hole on the coral that looks like something burrowed into it. Shortly after noticing it the coral bleached. What should I be looking for to tell if I have some kind of pest? So far I've lost 3 montis in this tank.
Pics

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find the critters in a coral dip or on the underside of the monti.

The eggs are whats hard to be rid of.
Dip. Dip. Dip. Faithfully. Hopefully the coral wont stress to death from the dips.
D
So upon inspection of the dead frag I found 3 holes In the skeleton as if something just ate it's way through it. There were small little bugs all over the coral but to me they looked like copepods. Does that sound correct or are their coral pests that look similar to pods?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like pods.
Google img isopods. Copepods and amphipods. U might see em.

Your alk and salinity are stable? I mean could be pests but im leaning towards water chemistry...?
D

OP
OP
O

optimisticdingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You havent seen any? At night?
D
I haven't noticed anything on the corals. I just noticed the holes and then a few days later the frag died. Could it perhaps be a flow related issue? I have a 575 gph AC powerhead delivering constant flow. Perhaps they need more turbulent flow to be happy?

Back