How do you know your fish is IP free?

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffer has been in QT now for months and I would really like to get her back into the display but I am worried that she could still have IP.

Originally I would find stringy white feces in the QT and she seemed to get lethargic after eating, often laying in a corner all curled up. She would start to breath very heavy. She also would get constipated every few days. I treated with General cure in the water for two doses a week apart and then treated with Focus/Metroplex for about 10 days in her food but it was really hard to get her to eat the food with medication as she would chew it up and keep spitting it out until it looked clean of the meds. During this time she actually laid eggs which seemed crazy while on meds and in QT.

It's been about 3 weeks since that last treatment and she started to put on a lot of weight and grow fast. I feel like she looks great except, if she eats a larger meal, she still curls up in the corner and breathes heavy until she has a bowel movement. She then returns back to normal. Second, in her feces are kind of white little balls, similar to what sometimes would be in the stringy white feces. But there is no longer stringy white feces so I don't know what to think about this. It could have something to do with the diet she is eating which is mostly squid because that is the easiest food for me to feed here while in QT.

Any ideas? She refuses to eat anything soaked in medication anymore. I was thinking about dosing her QT with prazi-pro before she goes back to the display.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to try a different med. We have been running into Prazi resistant worms. Take a look at Piperizine:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.16.06 PM.png

OP
OP
Justin_Reef

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get that medication in Canada. We can barely get Prazi or Metroplex. Based on what I have described, I guess it's likely that the puffer still has IP? I will try and get a picture of the feces.

OP
OP
Justin_Reef

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is very helpful at all but this is what I find every few days. Along with larger waste that looks more 'normal' to me. All of the feces are the same color, white. I think this might be due to the fact that all she is eating is white squid at the moment.

IMG_2466.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back