How do you loose a fish?

Peccavi18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have or maybe had??? a Coral Beauty was in the tank swimming around Wednesday night. Thursday mid day the g/f had her niece and nephew over looking at the tank and she couldn't find it. I looked when I got in in the afternoon and couldn't find it, and have looked numerous times since. The glass tops are on. The skimmer pump is the only pump in the tank and it has a full cover on it, well and the two K3's but he was to big to get in them. No bones, no body no fins nothing.... I have a clean up crew but not that big of one. I looked in all the obivious holes, and even checked parameters to make sure it wasn't rotting somewhere, no luck so far??????

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleanup crew munched it, and you just haven't seen the bones. They will swim in a tiny crevis before they die sometimes, and you won't find the skeleton - it'll just "melt" away.

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ether a biger fish munched him down or he died of something else and clean up crew got him.

OP
OP
P

Peccavi18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish are a false perc and a lawnmower blenny. He was fine eating the night before looking all fat and happy, and gone the next day?? The only thing I can possibly think is the frogspawn may have stung him to death? He used to hide and swim through the hole I just moved the frogspawn into and seemed a little peeved that it was in his "territory" but I hadn't seen him actually go right up to the coral.
Don't know, still no sign of him or remains. Even crawled behind the tank just to make sure he didn't jump and make it thoguh the tiny slit behind the glass top.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lost fish in the past when I had a FOWLR and never found any remains anywhere. Like Sikryd said, he could have just crawled in a crevasse when the end was near. Just keep an eye out for spikes in nitrates and ammonia. That is the one thing about having a large and diverse CUC, they will eat the remains in no time at all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back