How do you make use of ICP tests?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you guys use ICPs? How often do you test? What brand do you use? How do you leverage that info to better keep your reef?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an ATI-ICP test every two months as a critical part of my routine within the Reef Moonshiner's program (Andre Mueller @PSXerholic ). I perform corrections to elements based on those tests in conjunction with routine daily dosing. The program helped to bring my tank back from the brink to extremely healthy and flourishing again. Without the ICP tests, I'd be in the dark.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using them. Actually I've had two others done previously but really didn't pay them any mind. I am really low on some major elements. I've started dosing them, so now I'll be doing an ICP test monthly till I know how much I'm using monthly. Once I figure that out I'll probably do one every three months or so. I used Triton the last time, but just sent in an ATI. I'll use either of these as they give you corrective measures.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an ATI-ICP test every two months as a critical part of my routine within the Reef Moonshiner's program (Andre Mueller @PSXerholic ). I perform corrections to elements based on those tests in conjunction with routine daily dosing. The program helped to bring my tank back from the brink to extremely healthy and flourishing again. Without the ICP tests, I'd be in the dark.
That's what I'm doing! Just started the program. Three weeks into it and I'm amazed!!!

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ICP1999, because it's cheap.

Mostly using it to check trace element, especially to detect toxic heavy metals. Also validating my test kit results are welcome too.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test 2-3 times a year just to be sure nothing crazy has happened in my tank, Mostly use the info to adjust dosing of minor/trace elements (I only do small water changes a couple of times per year so proper dosing is pretty important).

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP- ANALYSIS
one test
high aluminum
made major changes
will do another test after the holidaze.
I had the same issue with my 120g. After some major water changes and the addition of carbon and chemi-pure it has finally dropped. I'm going to let the tank stabilize for a day or 2 before sending out for another test. But It had come down from the previous test .

dominion813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test once a month now that I’m on the reef moonshiner program pretty simple process order off Amazon send back after the test with the self addressed stamp envelope it comes with already seeing results

dominion813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FD778960-AD60-410C-89B0-39BB9609C65C.jpeg
50F4A062-FE59-4528-8AF3-8665DB364DD4.jpeg
FC0306D9-80CC-441A-89B4-6AD5E48F421A.jpeg
571EC6DE-CB38-4812-B5F4-3E444F869D1C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3885.MOV
    22.1 MB

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icp-anaylsis due to price being pretty good.

Quarterly use as a baseline

Let's me check things I don't or can't test for like trace elements and heavy metals. I caught my potassium getting low performing this test, If you've ever done a strontium test before you probably don't ever want to do it again so this is another easy way to check that.

surcalation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do an ICP every 3 months
I use Triton for it

Have noticed some trends and learnt what my tank needs outside of just dosing daily. I currently supplement, iodine, manganese, vanadium and iron

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I've only had one test so far and just finished my initial doses. Actually have the handbook open now to read about daily dosing. Need to send back another sample soon and then I assume it'll be about every 2-3 months. Really nice tool to be able to send out samples and get results so quickly!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use these to baseline my tank and quarterly look for any changes that may need to be addressed. Sort of like a doctor's checkup...

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the Reef Moonshiner's program?

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. I read all the replies. What is an ICP test?
Someone else posted this in another thread and I found it pretty useful: Deciphering Hobby Talk: Acronyms and Commonly Used Terms
ICP – Inductive Coupled Plasma. A type of mass spectrometry which is capable of detecting metals and several non-metals at very low levels. This is achieved by ionizing the sample with inductively coupled plasma and then sorting the resulting ions by mass spectrometry

Back