how do you prevent aiptasia?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you prevent aiptasia? I know if its there you should use aiptasia x, but what if it reprodcued before? I dont have a tank yet, and am scared of aiptasia destroying my corals ;Shifty.

Thanks

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is inevitable... one way or another you're probably going to end up with Aiptasia. They aren't the doom and gloom you're expecting and if dealt with quickly aren't a big deal. If/when you DO get them, I'd suggest Berghia nudibranch to handle the problem.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is inevitable... one way or another you're probably going to end up with Aiptasia. They aren't the doom and gloom you're expecting and if dealt with quickly aren't a big deal. If/when you DO get them, I'd suggest Berghia nudibranch to handle the problem.
Get the tank already! The only thing you have to fear is fear itself! :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at another thread where their liverock had pest vermitid snails. Recommended soaking the rock in fresh ro water for 4 weeks, then add salt! The pest should not survive in fresh water that long.

Glad to see you moving forward. Pests happen, and they can be overcome.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at another thread where their liverock had pest vermitid snails. Recommended soaking the rock in fresh ro water for 4 weeks, then add salt! The pest should not survive in fresh water that long.

Glad to see you moving forward. Pests happen, and they can be overcome.
I wouldn't buy Live Rock and then soak it in fresh water. More effective to simply use dry rock.

IME (one tank all Live Rock and one tank all dry rock), the benefits of Live Rock far outweigh the detriments. I fully regret using all dry rock on my second, larger tank.

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just careful when introducing things. Dip and clean frags, inspect, put superglue over them if I find one…. I had one come on a snail, pulled it and scraped it off, put down a layer of glue. My system is like 3.5 years old, no aptasia. Also started with dry rock though.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy Live Rock and then soak it in fresh water. More effective to simply use dry rock.

IME (one tank all Live Rock and one tank all dry rock), the benefits of Live Rock far outweigh the detriments. I fully regret using all dry rock on my second, larger tank.
Agreed.
The question of how to avoid a pest should not be answered as the most important thing to address because the cure ( nuking the live rock) is likely more detrimental to the whole tank health than having an aptasia hitchhiker in the system.

I share your preference of using live rock vs “safe” dead rock.

Back