How do you QT your fairy/flasher wrasses?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look through my post history you’ll see I’ve had sooo much bad luck... or just don’t know what I'm doing, whatever it is, it sucks! But here we go again.. round 3..

I sterilized my QT tanks (now have a 30g and a 10g), seeded and cycled them, and will be getting some wrasses on Friday. I made my QT a little more homey, added a tiny bit of sand, put more PVC in, gave it a black background... maybe to minimize some stress.

I REALLY want a bunch of fairy/flasher wrasses but I can’t get them to survive, and I feel terrible having these fish die under my care. I have pretty much every medication (that’s available to get right now) ready to go, but I’d like to know what your general process for quarantining wrasses?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a lot of issues QTing wrasses with the aggressive copper type approach. the last few i've been doing mostly h2o2 baths and then they've been fine without needing TTM. it takes longer, though. i do think i was raising copper too quickly when i was using it

also worth mentioning, i also have found multiple pre-QT type vendors and used them. the prices are seriously worth it so you get a fish and can just pop and drop right into the tank without the whole month of worrying something horrible got in

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a lot of issues QTing wrasses with the aggressive copper type approach. the last few i've been doing mostly h2o2 baths and then they've been fine without needing TTM. it takes longer, though. i do think i was raising copper too quickly when i was using it

also worth mentioning, i also have found multiple pre-QT type vendors and used them. the prices are seriously worth it so you get a fish and can just pop and drop right into the tank without the whole month of worrying something horrible got in

Thank you, this was my thinking too, I really don’t want to go the copper approach again unless I have to. I know about TSM, any other trustworthy online vendors? I am definitely willing to pay a premium to get a fish I can drop into my DT, just can’t seem to find what I’m looking for at TSM at least.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this was my thinking too, I really don’t want to go the copper approach again unless I have to. I know about TSM, any other trustworthy online vendors? I am definitely willing to pay a premium to get a fish I can drop into my DT, just can’t seem to find what I’m looking for at TSM at least.

quaratined fish
Quaratined marine
Fishotel
Marine collectors

off the top of my head

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience wrasses can handle same QT with copper as everyone else. I personally don't put a fish into my DT until QT copper has eliminated all possible parasites. I have several lovely "expert only" wrasses (tamarin, leopard, etc.) that managed to make it through copper. I ramped it up slowly and made sure they were eating voraciously beforehand. Most QT deaths are ammonia or oxygen depletion, not copper side effects. Go slow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back