How do you quarantine a coral/invert from ich?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is fallow right now. When can I add an invert/coral, and how do I prevent fish parasites from coming? I don’t want to restart my fallow clock by accident.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, quarantine is the way.

They exact answer is highly variable and is depending on exactly what you are trying to add. there is a whole group of forums on here based on treating and preventing diseases.

best advice I recall receiving when asked this question before is to start up your tank and cycle it, then add whatever corals/inverts you want, and THEN you start the fallow clock. No fish until at least 76 days after the last addition to the tank.

Adding ANYTHING from another tank restarts the fallow clock.

Once fallow, you must quarantine anything you add.

Corals and inverts you would QT for the fallow period, then good to move to the display if you don't have issues.

When you are ready to add fish, you must treat them each. Some fish are sensitive to meds/treatments in ways others are not, so really you must research each and every addition and tailor your approach. Some are known vectors for specific things like tangs and ich, so your research and approach must compensate. Something to keep in mind is if you are treating a tang with copper to stop ich, then beware what else you QT and treat it with, some other fish cannot handle copper well and will die.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is fallow right now. When can I add an invert/coral, and how do I prevent fish parasites from coming? I don’t want to restart my fallow clock by accident.
The best way to avoid issues when adding inverts during a fallow period is only get inverts from a fishless system. Trouble is, it seems most dealers like to throw a couple of fish in their prop systems, kind of making it risky in terms of disease transfer. At work, I have a 100 gallon fishless coral prop tray and I can hold new corals in for 45 days or so - that seems to work very well.

Jay

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back