0   0   0
I’ve never done saltwater

Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to start a saltwater aquarium be prepared to work until your back is about to break.(At least in the beginning.) You have to choose a tank. Choose a place for the tank. Bring the tank home. Place the tank where you want it to be. Buy all the fish equipment, around 700 dollars. Get another aquarium as part of the filtration system(a sump.) Then piece it all together. Fill it up, mix the salt, start the machinery, buy rocks and sand, wait a while, buy some fish, then buy more and corals and that‘s it.

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank,skimmer,sump,lights,plumbing(if you have a sump),live rock,heater, live sand,power heads,return pump- (if you have a sump) That are rated for your tanks size and needs of coral you plan to place. In the tank,
Would also consider buying mycobacteria 7 from brightwell aquatics to help cycle along
Buy a salt brand you like. I would chose pro reef by tropic marin
or red sea coral pro.

I would advise you to buy dry rock and a few or one big bucket.
Put all your rock in with some premixed saltwater.
Buy LIVE ROCK ENHANCE. *COOK* YOUR ROCKS FOR A MIN OF 6 WEEKS.
When Ready to use, rinse with fresh salt water then place them in the tank,
add water and (biological bactiera)
start your long 6 month ish cycle.
Add fish during this time after tank water has cycled to be ready for fish. (Learn how to cycle an aquarium without fish)
Try to only run your lights to feed your fish and look at them.
Other wise its best to keep them off during the initial cycle of aquarim.

The 3-4 months or so after will be your cycle to get tank stable enough for coriline algae to grow. TheN you can add softy corals and easy to keep hardy corals.

Make sure you have a solid mainttainance sced. And follow it to a T and never stray unless it will benefit your tank. In most cases it wont. So being on top of your tank and learning it's *heart beat* connecting with it and your animals.

would be most basic set up but still proven. I happen to run with no sump.
Have had a few bumps on the way but it's a learning curve for all of us.

Hope this helps you in some way to understand just the .0001% of everything there is to learn about reefing.

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank,skimmer,sump,lights,plumbing(if you have a sump),live rock,heater, live sand,power heads,return pump- (if you have a sump) That are rated for your tanks size and needs of coral you plan to place. In the tank,
Would also consider buying mycobacteria 7 from brightwell aquatics to help cycle along
Buy a salt brand you like. I would chose pro reef by tropic marin
or red sea coral pro.

I would advise you to buy dry rock and a few or one big bucket.
Put all your rock in with some premixed saltwater.
Buy LIVE ROCK ENHANCE. *COOK* YOUR ROCKS FOR A MIN OF 6 WEEKS.
When Ready to use, rinse with fresh salt water then place them in the tank,
add water and (biological bactiera)
start your long 6 month ish cycle.
Add fish during this time after tank water has cycled to be ready for fish. (Learn how to cycle an aquarium without fish)
Try to only run your lights to feed your fish and look at them.
Other wise its best to keep them off during the initial cycle of aquarim.

The 3-4 months or so after will be your cycle to get tank stable enough for coriline algae to grow. TheN you can add softy corals and easy to keep hardy corals.

Make sure you have a solid mainttainance sced. And follow it to a T and never stray unless it will benefit your tank. In most cases it wont. So being on top of your tank and learning it's *heart beat* connecting with it and your animals.

would be most basic set up but still proven. I happen to run with no sump.
Have had a few bumps on the way but it's a learning curve for all of us.

Hope this helps you in some way to understand just the .0001% of everything there is to learn about reefing.
YouTube and this forum have been a huge help to me. I started a reef tank. It's my first tank of any kind. I've had it up and running about two months? I have two clowns, a clean up crew (snails, crabs, etc..) and two corals. If I can do it, you can. I would figure out what you want. A fish only with live rock tank or a reef tank (fish and coral). Then figure out what size tank. They sell all in one systems which is what I have. It comes with the tank, return pump, and light. Honestly I wish I would have looked around at tanks a bit more before buying the tank I did but it's been great. You can keep it super simple and add to it. It seems overwhelming but it's really fairly simple. My tank for instance is pretty simple. Stock lighting, a return pump, filter floss, heater, and I added a wave maker. I plan on adding and upgrading as I go and figure out what I need and don't need. Sorry to ramble on. Look around on here, YouTube, etc...channels I like on YouTube are coral12g (more of a vlog but some good info), brs tv (have really great info). Also visit your lfs (local fish store). They should be a big help as well. Good luck!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back