How do you store thawed, frozen foods?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish ear better than I do. Haha. Great variety! :) Some of The ones you buy are what I get. I should pickup some marine specific food for my guys like you have.
Missing from photo is San Francisco Bay Fish Eggs - super popular with my clowns!

Remember old Pacman video - that's what clowns act like gobbling egg dots. Interestingly Reef Nutrition R.O.E. (eggs) isn't as 'pacman-like' feeding response.

@Karen00 paring knife works best for me

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try letting it sit out for a while. If you try cutting it in an hour or so it might be a lot easier to cut while still remaining mostly frozen. If it works, I'd suggest doing the whole package at once and tossing them back in the freezer.
Thanks for this! I didn't think about letting them soften up a little. I will try that because I don't have a sharp enough knife... yet. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missing from photo is San Francisco Bay Fish Eggs - super popular with my clowns!

Remember old Pacman video - that's what clowns act like gobbling egg dots. Interestingly Reef Nutrition R.O.E. (eggs) isn't as 'pacman-like' feeding response.

@Karen00 paring knife works best for me
Gee, I haven't seen the fish eggs yet. That's on my list and a paring knife. Haha. My hi fin goby has become addicted to eating live pods that I threw in as a treat (pacman is a great visual for this) and now he turns his nose up on the mysis and bloodworms. He has gone through almost a whole bottle of Reef Nutrition Tiggers in five days. Maybe the frozen eggs and some other new frozen food will pique his interest again... hopefully. :)

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of small clowns that I’m currently feeding NLS pellets and Hikari Bio Pure, Mega Marine. I’ve been thawing a whole cube at a time, in about 50/50 mix of tank water an RO or distilled water, and storing it in the coldest part of my fridge. I’ll use the whole cube in about a week and a half. Is it common or practice to store thawed foods in water? What kind of water?
Depends on the size of the cubes I would cut it in 4-6 pieces and put it back to the freezer the parts not used.
if one fis tend to take the whole peace with him just cut it up even more so it can not be taken by only one fish

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaw my food under water using a small strainer, which helps to remove the small particles and rinse any preservatives.

If I don’t use everything I thawed, I add a small bit of RODI to it and just refreeze
I was doing something similar with one of those tea ball strainers. I’d put the food in it, the. Put it in a little cup of water and swished it around, dumped the water and washed the food out of the strainer with clean distilled/tank water. I’ve basically just cut out the straining part now.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do this, but some of my 'pigs' take the whole dang cube and disappear into a cave with it - leaving the other fish looking around bewildered.
when I use to add the cube directly, the fishes would do the same thing. i do like how the IM version and others similar to it allow for the cube to naturally come to tank temps and by doing so, it releases the brine or mysis (in my case) in smaller pieces---i do turn down the wavemaker a little but not off so it can allow for movement/circulation around the tank so things don't get too dicey with the fishes

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do this, but some of my 'pigs' take the whole dang cube and disappear into a cave with it - leaving the other fish looking around bewildered.
At least its getting eaten, my wrasse constantly grabs it and looses grip right in front of the overflow right into the sump

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put frozen cube in my hand and use normal knife i eat with ( so only a little searated edge) and push knife down into frozen cube which is in palm of my hand and it cuts it right in half.
I did used to try cut it on kitchen worktop but it just slides all over and makes it difficult so just hold in my hand know and push hard down on knife with other hand,really simple

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hack my frozen cubes into smaller pieces (watch your fingers), do a few of those at a time, and keep them frozen in a plastic container, just dig out what I need each day. My understanding is that you shouldn't refreeze thawed food and you don't want to store it thawed for more than a couple days.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back