How do you take care of a massive blue tang? Over a foot long.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My younger brother bought a massive blue tang without my consent. It’s literally over a foot long and even though my tank is 250 gallons, I’m sure my tank is too small for it. This fish is too big.

I feed LRS frozen but it looks so small for this fish. The fish is eating but I don’t see the tiny food size supporting the weight of the fish. It’s a really heavy fish.

I have to post pictures of the fish, but for right now I have a stock photo from google. It’s exactly this size. I put it in the tank because it was late and the LFS closed already, but I really don’t want to keep this fish. It really is ruining the tank for me. I see this fish and I’m having anxiety because it looks cramped for it. I currently have 10 small-medium tangs right now and they fit in my tank, but I never saw a fish this big before.

C5D28502-C4DD-4B38-BBFE-349FB896C31F.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 94” long.

I have Lavendar, powder brown, naso, vlamingii, Caribean, blue tang (not the new one), purple, clown tang.

Whoops. I guess I miscounted and I have 8 tangs (not 11). These tangs are all small to medium. Most are small though and maybe 2 are getting near medium. I consider this New blue tang enormous. I am stunned and not in a good way.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is 94” long.

I have Lavendar, powder brown, naso, vlamingii, Caribean, blue tang (not the new one), purple, clown tang.

Whoops. I guess I miscounted and I have 8 tangs (not 11). These tangs are all small.
Okay, the tangs that may need a bigger tank will be the Vlamingii (24") That's almost double your hippo blue tang.
The other's range from 8 to 12 inches. You can also look them up if you like.
I would just watch the fish and see if he looks comfortable. If he isn't trying to escape and there's no conflict. I wouldn't worry.
What is he doing that's destroying the aquarium?

Oh right, naso's get close to 20 inches but should be fine with your aquarium.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell krill and silversmiths at petco and pets mart. That and the said nori sheets. Get green and purple. Alternate.
That fish needs a good 500+ gals. Sorry! You can try but u may need to increase flow at the very least.
Open water swimmer. Shark food. Lol.
Good luck!
D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back