How do you test salt level?

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I set this tank up I got a Red Sea refractometer. So many problems with it constantly needing calibrated and the inconsistent readings with tons of people having the same problem. So which one is good

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from BRS. I also have an IO swingarm. Calibrated BRS refractometer is then measured against the swingarm. The swingarm reads 1.027, and the BRS refrac reads 1.026. I use the swingarm most of the time as I know it reads .001 higher than actual.
With the refractometer I calibrate before every reading and it is dead on. If you dont, it can, and will be off at times. Keep the same testing procedure and you should be golden.
Thats how I do it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hanna or icecap Salinity checker

A Reef Insanity (ARI)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer is most accurate. I have hydrometers, Hanna digital with temp, and Apex salinity probes.... refractometer seems to be most accurate although all 4 methods give me a slightly different reading. Hard to say what to trust.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not recommend a certain brand, since my refractometers are old.
Both hardly ever need calibrating.
One is easier to read than the other for some reason.
One is blue and one is black. One is a little more rusted than the other. They both work.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea refractometer and I have just accepted that I will have to calibrate it every time I use it. I also have another refractometer from Sybon that is older that I use now and then to see if both give me the same reading. They do.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I set this tank up I got a Red Sea refractometer. So many problems with it constantly needing calibrated and the inconsistent readings with tons of people having the same problem. So which one is good
I calibrate prior to use if its been more than few days since last used. ALso, the temp of refractometer affects reading, so it should be kept at similar temp to water. I've noticed mine giving different reading when refractometer was left in basement (cold) vs 1F. Now I always keep it on the 1F vs basement where the tank is located.

OP
OP
B

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when I bought it. I constantly had to calibrate and took it back to the store and the owner who is real cool tested mine on his systems and every time constant reading. But the store was about 82 degrees and humid. My tank is in the basement. I had to warm up the body of refractometer let it come down to temp. Then zero it then I could get a accurate measure. My tank is in the basement. And would only hold calibration for the time to mix the salt till the time after the change to see where it’s at.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back