How do you transfer coral out of a Dino infested tank?

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral RX for my coral dip and I don't see anything mentioned on the label about it killing dino's. I have a bunch of nice coral in one of my tanks but there are toxic dino's (diagnosed with a microscope) that are slowly killing everything. I'd like to move some of the coral into another tank and start fresh as a FO tank. I know that copper will kill these dino's but I can't use it until the coral is safely re-homed. I won't take the risk of moving (or selling) the coral unless I can be certain that a dip...Coral RX, Bayer, fresh-water, etc. will kill the dino's.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think H2O2 would give you the best chance at success. I know I have used this successfully for algae and cyano but I've never tried it on dino's.

OP
OP
EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think H2O2 would give you the best chance at success. I know I have used this successfully for algae and cyano but I've never tried it on dino's.
Thanks, I was wondering about that since I know some folks use it to kill algae. When you used it for algae, did you dilute it?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was wondering about that since I know some folks use it to kill algae. When you used it for algae, did you dilute it?
I used 30% of the 3%H2O2 with 70% tank water. I do know some people use it 50-50

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Use both dips esp if you have them. I would consider the new tank a QT or Set up a QT between the two and repeat the dip. .Revive would be a better choice than RX or a larger dose of rx..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back