How does bubble algae start?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting this thread because I saw last night I am starting to get some bubble algae on my back wall of the tank. Just curious on how this is started. I haven’t introduced anything in a bit, last time I introduced anything was about 7 weeks ago an acro frag. I dipped the coral and did an inspection before entering DT. I picked my feeding up to raise nutrients in tank was reading below 0.03 for some time. My parameters are:

salinity: 1.025 (Milwaukee)
Temp: 78 (Apex)
Alk: 7.8 (Hanna) (Trident)
PO4: 0.03 (Hanna)
Calcium: 430 (trident)
PH: 8.12 (Apex)

What should I do next? I have read other forums saying emerald crabs or simply just popping them unsure what I should do.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae comes into a tank as a spore on a frag or a rock from a LFS or coral seller.
When a bubble is broken open the spores inside the bubble are released and are spread to the aquarium. The best way I have found that works over the past 35 years is the smother method. Take a price of reef epoxy and place over the bubble algae. It will then kill it by removing its ability to get light. After several months you can then remove the epoxy as the algae is killed. I have seen so many crabs in sumos over the years from hobbyist who but them in the hopes that they will do something. They end up eating zoa’s and causing problems.

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a microscope picture of the insides of a popped bubble of velonia.
200505_o0234 960px.jpg

Back