How does everyone juggle the balance of needing to keep water flowing in their tank, and low flow corals

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 150g tank thats been stood up since January. I've started to load up some corals (things like octospawn, blastomussa, and acans. Though I do have some gorgonia). I had 2 gyres on either end of the tank towards the top, but the octospawn and blasto seemed to recoil quite a bit, even with the gyres set to very low power. I now have turned one gyre off on the side with the low flow corals, and they seem happy, but I can see the dead spots where detritus builds up on the floor.

So I was curious how others here deal with balancing keeping the eater flowing in their tank to prevent dead spots, with the corals that seem to dislike it.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 150g tank thats been stood up since January. I've started to load up some corals (things like octospawn, blastomussa, and acans. Though I do have some gorgonia). I had 2 gyres on either end of the tank towards the top, but the octospawn and blasto seemed to recoil quite a bit, even with the gyres set to very low power. I now have turned one gyre off on the side with the low flow corals, and they seem happy, but I can see the dead spots where detritus builds up on the floor.

So I was curious how others here deal with balancing keeping the eater flowing in their tank to prevent dead spots, with the corals that seem to dislike it.
I would add rocks on the back and each side of the coral like a horseshoe.

Upvote 0

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My personal opinion and what I’ve experienced is to place your coral in your tank and as long as there not getting blow off there skeleton they will adapt to your flow.

Upvote 0

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add rocks on the back and each side of the coral like a horseshoe.
I have the same problem! I dont want or need to add any more flow and since my corals are higher up it leaves me with dead spots and nasty looking sand in certain areas! Thankfully its more in the back of the tank behind some big rocks and corals!

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back