How does FOWLR compare, cost-wise, to a reef aquarium?

Crowbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize since this is a reef forum it might not be the best place to ask, but I'm sort of mulling over starting a moderately sized (somewhere in the ballpark of 100g) FOWLR tank at some point in the future - hopefully after things get a little better for my family, money-wise (thanks covid).

When it comes to equipment, do you generally need less, more, or about the same as a reef tank? I imagine the cost of livestock between the two setups would more or less even out, with the larger FOWLR tank probably costing a bit more to get it stocked appropriately than my small reef tank.

Not having to have amazing lighting probably saves a bit, but do FOWLR tanks still need all the peripheral equipment that reefs have? I don't see them talked about that much, it seems.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is definitely the largest upfront I think between a FOWLR and a reef setup. Also with a FOWLR you don’t necessarily need to watch your nutrient levels so a protein skimmer could certainly be purchased later down the line as well saving some early cost.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can get away with a cheap 6500K LED light with FOWLR. For me I still install a good skimmer not unless you can do a DIY algae scrubber.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fowlr means no dosing, no expensive ligjtning, no expensive corals, less water changes, less maintenance, no worry about pests as they get eaten since most fowlrs have fish that eat pests.

much much less expensive. Plus you get to have cooler fish, eels, sharks, etc

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do mushrooms, leathers, and other soft corals and not have to worry about dosing and such. But you will want to get a decent a light since most will need something better than a basic led strip

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of those fowlr weirdos. Its much much cheaper on average. You can run your salinity much lower, no powerful energy consuming lighting, no dosing, no calculations or expensive computer management systems. Nutrient export is fairly similar. Usually a skimmer along with a fuge, ats, or some kind of nitrate eater.

Softie tanks are not much more expensive. Where things start to eat you alive is with heavy stoney tanks especially sps.

OP
OP
Crowbar

Crowbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, guys! This mostly just makes me want to start one sooner, haha. Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble over a good deal for a used tank somewhere and start from there.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR IS WAY MORE EXPENSIVE! I had the same thought as you long ago and started a very cheap fowlr set up. But it got expensive fast after i bought all the fowlr gear and had to eventually replace everything with better reef gear (you will want a reef eventually)!

Back