How does my tank look? There is a lot of green on the live rocks now and the corals will not open

Baylormom21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4195512A-6CAE-4112-97E3-AE1C5814BF5E.jpeg

OP
OP
Baylormom21

Baylormom21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Looks nice and clean. Have you changed lighting or anything else?
The aquarium is a 65 gallon. The Alkaline is high and PH is down. Add another 600 pump to the tank to give it more flow. Put a green machine UV lamp in to help with the green algae. Add a little of white Vinegar to help lower the Alkaline and a PH Booster. My clownfish and Lawnmower are doing fine but my corals will not open. It has been like this for a few weeks now and have no idea what to do. At first, did a lot of water changes and that did not help. I think we may need a better light. We have the loop and not real crazy about it.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alkaline is high and PH is down. Add another 600 pump to the tank to give it more flow. Put a green machine UV lamp in to help with the green algae. Add a little of white Vinegar to help lower the Alkaline and a PH Booster. My clownfish and Lawnmower are doing fine but my corals will not open. It has been like this for a few weeks now and have no idea what to do. At first, did a lot of water changes and that did not help. I think we may need a better light. We have the loop and not real crazy about it.

Honestly i would just stop adding chemicals. You added vinegar to lower alk then added a PH booster? If so you added alkalinity(the ph booster) after you tried to lower alk by adding vinegar(which also decreases ph).

Do some WC with proper salinity salt mix.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i would just stop adding chemicals. You added vinegar to lower alk then added a PH booster? If so you added alkalinity(the ph booster) after you tried to lower alk by adding vinegar(which also decreases ph).

Do some WC with proper salinity salt mix.
Ditto. How high was the alk before you added vinegar? What did it drop to after? Also ph dropped then ph booster was added which in turn raised your alk back up too. I would test your alk now and see where it's at and raise or lower it slowly without using chemicals. I wouldnt worry about your ph to much and definitely don't raise it with a ph booster, I haven't checked ph in decades. With your corals all bumming out its definitely water quality/params causing your coral issues. Your lights are not the cause of your corals demise from what you describe and by seeing the pic of your tank lit up.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many comments for nobody to ask for your parameters...

Well, the first response did I guess. What are your current levels? "High" is not sufficient information.

OP
OP
Baylormom21

Baylormom21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. How high was the alk before you added vinegar? What did it drop to after? Also ph dropped then ph booster was added which in turn raised your alk back up too. I would test your alk now and see where it's at and raise or lower it slowly without using chemicals. I wouldnt worry about your ph to much and definitely don't raise it with a ph booster, I haven't checked ph in decades. With your corals all bumming out its definitely water quality/params causing your coral issues. Your lights are not the cause of your corals demise from what you describe and by seeing the pic of your tank lit up.
I believe my husband said the alkaline was at a 12 and the ph was at 8.4. Which I thought the ph was fine. No it was not at 8.7 but still close. I have not checked it again since we have dosed it. Will do that soon. If it has not changed then we will do a water change this weekend and see if that helps. I will Update with new test results later today. They did stand up better to the blue light but did not open yet. Fingers crossed though

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowering the whites as you've done might just help with the algae.
One word of caution, the 'JUP-01' UV unit. I used to have one up till this week (4 months), leak in the bulb chamber and toast. Keep an eye on it and shut it off if your hands are in the tank.

Back