How does Orlando not have an active reefing club?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been living here for just over 2 years and started back up reefing last year. I had no idea that Orlando had become the capital of reefing or that I now lived near 3 of the best LFS in the country. I loved from an area that had little or no reefing community at all but a couple of stores so I am used to flying solo in the hobby. That said since I now live far from home and know very few folks I went in search of clubs and what not and was very disappointed with what I found.
There are a few clubs barely holding on and almost no real community at all. Often times it would seem like everyone is out there for themselves and really not Interested in creating a community of passionate people. It's sad because there are so many reefers here and no local groups to fall back on or be a part of. I know these uncertain times make it difficult but they will pass. I hope to see this happen in the future and would be more the willing to organize if there were others interested. Until then happy reefing.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have learned (I live in Apopka) is thay R2R is your best local club we will get. The one I found a few years ago so not active,well it was but very little recent posts.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have learned (I live in Apopka) is thay R2R is your best local club we will get. The one I found a few years ago so not active,well it was but very little recent posts.
I live in Lockhart almost in Apopka. That's what I'm saying there's no way after this stuff is over one couldn't be formed. I wouldn't think one day a month would kill anyone. I just want to meet and hang out with a group of people who are into the hobby and NOT trying to sell me something. Exchange info, frags, old equipment whatever. My gf is so sick of me talking about scientific scholarly articles she's going to leave me!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man,I just used to go into Top Shelf,Living Reef or Oceans Direct and talk to them. Top Shelf had a AWESOME group of guys a few years ago,and so did Living Reef but they all left due to the business losing sight of where they came from and becoming money hungry.

Which is sad,but that is where the hobby is going. I'm out of the hobby at the moment,but every once in awhile we would all meet at TSA and shoot the **** and trade frags and buy frags but that was 4-5 years ago.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the local reef clubs have pretty much died out. Isn’t the same as it used to be.some are still going but they are few and far between.

Pbmas (palm beach marine society)used to be the largest in Florida and one of the biggest in the nation, it was disbanded like 2 years ago, same as the Miami club, just a fraction of what it once was.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my old forums are dead or basically dead. Alot of people have moved over to Facebook. People just want there simple questions answer and disappear. there isn't any since of community at all on Facebook.

I've been looking for a club in Michigan but haven't seen any activity in the 4 month I've been back in the hobby.

Be nice just to talk to people in person from time to time about reefing.

Maybe something's will change after the pandemic.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back