How does the Banggai Cardinal make that percussive sound?

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single Banggai Cardinal in my tank. When he feels the need to defend himself, he makes a percussive sound that I can hear clear across the room. I've been googling for info on the mechanics of how they make this noise, but so far finding nothing.

Does anyone here know how it works?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these may help

http://www.fishecology.org/soniferous/soniferous.htm

https://dosits.org/galleries/audio-gallery/fishes/clownfish/

https://dosits.org/animals/sound-production/how-do-fish-produce-

sounds/#:~:text=Fishes such as drums and,rate, thus creating drumming sounds

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buccal pops maybe? Like popping the jaw, but louder? Do you ever see the fish when it's making the sounds? Does it do anything like clicking it's jaw?

Just curious though...did you start with live rock? It could be that it's actually a mantis or snapping shrimp hitchhiker instead...

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buccal pops maybe? Like popping the jaw, but louder? Do you ever see the fish when it's making the sounds? Does it do anything like clicking it's jaw?

Just curious though...did you start with live rock? It could be that it's actually a mantis or snapping shrimp hitchhiker instead...
I was going to say the same thing about the hitchhikers. I've read the horror stories about those guys! I know some people love them but I'm a solid "nope" to that! Haha.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single Banggai Cardinal in my tank. When he feels the need to defend himself, he makes a percussive sound that I can hear clear across the room. I've been googling for info on the mechanics of how they make this noise, but so far finding nothing.

Does anyone here know how it works?
This is the first I’ve ever heard of Bengali cardinals making vocalizations

v3v3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also mine make these noises, but what i observed is that is making the noises when he feels threatened

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine makes the noises when s/he knows that I'm in the room and is hungry. Don't know how it works.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never heard a sound from mine of 3 years but again current tank glass is 1.25” thick

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned something new today!

(looks over at my BC): Why can't you be cool like those fish?

OP
OP
paparoof

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems odd to me that some Banggai Cardinals would make this sound and others wouldn't. Maybe yours just never gets into a defensive position? I've got a couple of jerk fish, maybe you don't?

KeyParty14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came to this thread because I have a very vocal one. It took me years to notice this because my old filtration system was much louder. This is definitely a behavioral/territorial noise. My large one does it. The smaller more juvenile one does not. It sounds like rock bumping the glass and for a while I thought that was what it was, but it’s def this cardinal. It seems to do it mostly as it chases a PJ cardinal it doesn’t really care for, particularly when I approach the glass and it thinks food is coming. It does this to sort of clear the water column and push the smaller cardinals into the corners before the food comes. I can’t believe it took me years to realize this

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back