How does the pairing of the shrimp goby and pistol shrimp work?

Alyssa.Weber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can get a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp as a pair but I have also heard that each species of shrimp goby has a certain species of pistol shrimp that pairs with it. If this is true, what are the common pairings? Also is the pairing something I can do myself?- meaning can I separately buy a goby and the corresponding shrimp and have them pair? If someone could clear this all up for me that would be great!! Thanks :)

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long while since I had a pair. There is a specific shrimp species that will pair with goby's. You can actually buy them as a pair at some places. They may or may not pair at first, even if sold together. Mine took a month before they found each other. It was love at first site :)

OP
OP
Alyssa.Weber

Alyssa.Weber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long while since I had a pair. There is a specific shrimp species that will pair with goby's. You can actually buy them as a pair at some places. They may or may not pair at first, even if sold together. Mine took a month before they found each other. It was love at first site :)
Awwe thats awesome! Thanks for this info!! Ill be getting mine in a couple weeks!

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it like a chance that they will pair or is it pretty much going to happen either way?
I’ve personally never had a goby and pistol not pair. It may happen in a few days or months depending on the size of tank and length of time it takes them to find each other. It would help if you put them in the tank next to each other :)

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can get a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp as a pair but I have also heard that each species of shrimp goby has a certain species of pistol shrimp that pairs with it. If this is true, what are the common pairings? Also is the pairing something I can do myself?- meaning can I separately buy a goby and the corresponding shrimp and have them pair? If someone could clear this all up for me that would be great!! Thanks :)
Let's see...I believe that it's mostly Alpheus bellulus and A. randallis pistol shrimp that are paired with shrimp gobies (Cryptocentrus, Amblyeleotris, and Stonogobiops). The specific pairing depends on the shrimp/goby you want. I know that LiveAquaria pairs A. randalli with S. nematodes and Ambleyeleotris gobies. I believe that A. bellulus pairs mostly with Cryptocentrus sp. If you have a specific goby or shrimp in mind, that would be more helpful for us to tell you what pairs best with which!

You can pair the gobies with the shrimps as well. Basically, you can introduce the shrimp first, and then wait for it to build a burrow, and then the goby can be added and it will typically find the shrimp.

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

Bought them separately at different times (Goby first). When I got the shrimp I tried to put it into the tank close to the YWG. I got lucky and the shrimp started to build a burrow only a couple inches away from the YWG.

By the next day they were sharing the burrow and are inseparable. The shrimp is a digging/plowing machine and the YWG guards it with a vengeance. I've seen it chase off our PITA Yellow Tang.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They find each other, i always have goby/shrimp pairs and sometimes when introducing the shrimp it swims to to opposite side of the tank.... in a few ours the shrimp and goby are together. You need to be sure that the pistol and goby are pairing species, not all pistols pair not all gobies pair.

Now I have a pair of gobies paired with a shrimp, they are a lovely trio.

20200809_112211.jpg

kezr75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They find each other, i always have goby/shrimp pairs and sometimes when introducing the shrimp it swims to to opposite side of the tank.... in a few ours the shrimp and goby are together. You need to be sure that the pistol and goby are pairing species, not all pistols pair not all gobies pair.

Now I have a pair of gobies paired with a shrimp, they are a lovely trio.

20200809_112211.jpg
Hey did you introduce the shrimp after the YWG’s had paired?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back